What's new
What's new

Torlon Expanding Problems

Hatchw1

Plastic
hello all,
I'm currently making small threaded disc out of torlon. The threads are 3-20. I turn the OD to 2.995 then thread it. After threading I take the mating part and ensure they thread together. Then I part off the part

After parting off my part will barely thread on and the OD measures 3.010, My ID also stretches slightly.

Is this normal for torlon to expand after being cut?

Also I measured the part in multiple places so it didn't just oval after cutting

Contact Solvay tech support and ask if there's a thermal stress relief process you could use on the stock before cutting. Torlon(R) PAI Polyamide-Imides | Solvay They might have other suggestions when you tell them the issue you're having.

Or, cut a "preliminary" relief groove where you'll eventually part the stock to just deep enough to maintain stability for threading, but allow some compliance between stock and part. Perhaps that way you can get the features to be stable after completing part separation.

If you are holding the stock in a chuck, with some number of jaws, the closer the stock is to the chuck jaws, the more the stock is compressed. The workpiece will absolutely expand when parted off from the main rod. I have had similar problems, generally solved by working farther from the chuck jaws, or making an allowance for the expansion.

Back