What's new
What's new

Tormek DBS 22 opinions

jbifs

Aluminum
Hello,

Our industrial fabrication shop is looking to invest in a drill bit sharpener(as well as cnc machining.) Typically, we don't use any drill bits larger than 13/16. Usually 5/16, 7/16 and 9/16. I would say it would get used once a day on average so I am not looking for something too expensive and fancy. I looked into Darex 390 and had mixed opinions and they only go up to 3/4. Looking for something a little more accurate and quicker than hand grinding.

I did a search and didn't find much on the Tormeks. Can their attachment be setup to fixure a regular bench grinder? My intentions are eventually to purchase a bench grinder. Use one side for drill sharpening and design a 2" belt sander for the other side.

thanks,
Josh

I have a Tormek but not the drill sharpening attachment. I've seen it, but found it too expensive. Hand grinding works for me. I think it could be adapted to a bench grinder, but since the Tormek system is very different it will take some work to adapt it. If you consider a Tormek: the grinding action is slower than a bench grinder because of the water cooled grind stone. The results however are excellent especially on woodworking tools.

I have a Tormek but not the drill sharpening attachment. I've seen it, but found it too expensive. Hand grinding works for me. I think it could be adapted to a bench grinder, but since the Tormek system is very different it will take some work to adapt it. If you consider a Tormek: the grinding action is slower than a bench grinder because of the water cooled grind stone. The results however are excellent especially on woodworking tools.

Curious if you've been using the drill sharpening attachment and what you think of it?

In all honesty, for general fabrication in the sizes you list, none of the dedicated sharpeners will be faster than hand grinding on a belt. And while hand-grinding does require a bit of care and finesse, so do the specialized grinders! They really only shine when you have large numbers of the same size to sharpen.
I'd say pick your most apt worker and assign that person 'drill duty'. If you must have split-points, that is yet another skill but it can be done manually too.

I've got one of the DBS22 on my tormek, it works fine once you have it set up correctly, you can do a quality 4 facet grind on it easily. It's an expensive add on, if you dont already have the tormek then I would look elsewhere. I'm unsure how well this would work with a traditional bench grinder as the tormek is a slow speed grinder and a bench grinder may be too aggressive with it.

Back