What's new
What's new

Tos fngj 32

ctl_tec

Aluminum
Hello boys and gils,
This is my first thread and I dont know if this is the wright place to post but let`s give it a shot.
My name is Cata , I am from Romania and I own a small job shop for a few months> I have 2 lathes , 2 mills , 2 drilling machines , one interior and exterior grinding machine and a few miscellaneous things.
In the near future I want a small lathe , a surface grinding machine and a hobbing machine.
This tread is about a TOS FNGJ mill and the problem is that I dont have the manual and I dont know a few things on it.
Here is some photos :

First of all I dont know what function has the round button from the head- the botton fron the low side. It has 2 positions.

Here is a photo with the head from front. Now I can use the speeds from the first and third column.What I have to do to use the orher speeds?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,
Cata

PS: sorry for the bad english .

1. Of course the possibility is that the chart is "Universal" and covers two different spindle arrangements....One large style (40?) with drive dogs and and another design for the same machine that
uses a smaller taper style (Morse?) ..If this is the case then yours has the larger style spindle and you get the speeds as indicated in rows 1 &3.....

2. Of course it also might be the difference between the horizontal and vertical spindle speeds.....

Cheers Ross

This machine is almost identical to a Emco FB4 So a manual from that might help too
I think those row 2 and 4 are for the high speed head Those heads have a smaller taper
I did have one once IIRC
I do not see that head running 6300 rpm

Peter

AlfaGTA I will make tomorow a photo to the spindle.
What I can tell you is that it has an iso40 tapper and it has ballscrews in x and y.The mill is from 1989.
From what I know TOS made some great and very acurate machines in the comunist times.
Also a factory from Romania , also in comunist times made FUS 25 and FUS 32 mills almoust the same as TOS.
Peter , you have right. The only diference that I saw is that TOS has 3 levers for changing gears and one for changing from vertical to horizontal milling.

If an modelator see this thread pls move it to "Deckel/Euro mill" sectioc if it is necesary.

Hello, I have such a mill and have a manual for it. However the manual is in Swedish and without figures...
It is a very good machine.

To answer your questions:
You can not use the speeds in the second two columns. They are for an other spindle cartridge with 30 taper.
The round buttons are for removing the spindle cartridge. I do not know the proper terms in english so bear with me for the explanation how they work.
If the leveler for drilling is pulled all the way to the stop and the knob is pulled out about 2mm the cartridge can be extended further and the gear rack is released. Lock the leveler with the other round button, pull out the knob all the way to release the cartridge and take it out.

/Staffan

Thanks Staffan for the answers.
If you have the same machine maybe you can tell me how to lubricate it. It has a button who is conect to an oil pump and I push that button every day or whan I will start to work with the mill.
what is the period that I have to change the oil and if it is necesary to lubricate other things and how often. I think that the oil pump does not lubricate the entire machine.

Thanks.

The pump that is operated with the button lubricates everything except the head. This pump is on when the machine runs and it is good practice to press it for a while before starting work as you do. The oil tank for this lubrication system is at the back in the base of the machine. On the right side of the base there are two sight glasses, the one towards the back is for the lubrication tank which is quite big.
When the lubrication pump is running you should see a constant stream of oil in the sight glass near the levelers in your first picture, this is the gear box lubrication. On the back of the table opposite the control pedant there is an other sight glass, when the pump is running you should see a intermittent burst of oil (I don't remember the period) this is the way lubrication.
There is a sight glass on the head for its lubrication, check the level here when the machine has been off for a while.
That's about all there is about the lubrication.

/Staffan

At the base where it supose to be the sight glass it has screws. Maybe it was changed.
The pump is working well then. I see the stream on glass sight near the gears levers. I did`t chech the way sight glass.
The have put some oil in the head but not much. I think I have to fill it up to the sight glass.
I use transmision oil. It is ok?

another questions. I think I abuse your kindness.
under the gear levers there is a thing for a square key(see first picture).You can extend the Y with it?
also is the first picture behind the head, up on the Y , behind the cooling hose. What is that?

I know the machime much in the lower side because the cooling punp was not run for a long period of time and it was blocked. First I foud the oil pump and I thought that is the one . I manage to get it out a then a saw the oil. I loked behind and bingo. I opened the 2 part electrical pannel and for 1,5 hours I struggled to get it out. Very tight position. The propeler and the bottom part was eaten so I adapted from another one. It is running very smoothly.

I guess the whole point of this forum is to get help with this kind of things.

In the manual the oil is specified to OH-MH 68, which is a Czech designation. As far as I know 68 is the ISO viscosity. I'm no expert in oils but don't think the exact quality is critical in this machine.
When looking in the manual there are a few more lubrication points, pedant arm bearing, way covers and adding grease in the spindles bearings every 3-5 years. However the main ones are automatic and the vertical spindle head.

The square key is for securing tools in the horizontal spindle, i.e. it is the "pull bar" or whatever it is in English. The ring around it has to be pushed in and twisted to engage the cogs. This seems to be blocked when the vertical head is attached.

The thing behind the coolant hose is a really nifty accessory, it is an arm carrying the vertical head. To remove the vertical head just unscrew the four big bolts in the corners of the “front plate” (one just behind the coolant hose in the first picture) and pull the head forward and swing it around to the left and attach it to the Y ram (on the two large pins and two threaded holes). It makes it really easy to remove and attach the vertical head.

/Staffan

ISO 68 is often used in farm tractors as a general hydraulic fluid. I think this means it is used in the transmission and the hydraulic cylinders as well. On my brother's tractor the high pressure hydralic system just pumps fluid out of the transmission case.
Be careful some of the API gear oils can be bad for yellow metal(brass,bronze) in a gearbox if they have extreme pressure or High pressure additives. Often labeled EP. I believe GL 4 or lower is safe GL5 is not safe.
Bill D.
Not sure if this chart will help or confuse you about oil. In the USA motor oil is sold by SAE number. Modern cars use around SAE 5 or 10, older cars SAE 25-35.
Engine oils also worry about how the oil handles heat and extreme outdoor cold which is not a concern on a lathe inside a shop.
ISO Grade Oils - Viscosities and Densities

I would just like to comment that I used a TOS vertical mill (V-belt head, Bridgeport style) at a place I worked in the 70s, and it was a very high quality machine. I especially liked the X-axis feed and its rapid traverse.

I dont think this machine it uses hidraulic oil. It isn`t any hidraulic parts on it.
I think it is uses transmision oil , but I am still waiting for another opinionsI don`t want to make any mistakes.
The way covers are a litle runsty and I have to clean it. What you guys can recomand to clean it ?

Staffan , I not so good in english.Where is "pedant arm bearing" and how do I get to spindles bearings?
Any recomandation on what kind of oil to use on the way covers? Mine is has some kind of rubber thing on it, in the lower part of all ways covers.

i think you will need hydraulc and way oil for the machine.

edit: madit oh-mh is a modern hydraulic oil with a good addtive package.

Yes, now I remember. I use hydraulic oil, it seems to be quite common in machine tools. It is the same oil for everything. I guess you could also use way oil, if I remember correctly it is about the same thing with additives to prevent stick-slip.

Use any oil for the way covers, non sticky is easier to clean.

Pedant arm bearing is simply the bearing in the arm holding the control box.

I have never done anything to the spindle bearings so I do not know, translating the manual is more than I have time to do.

/Staffan

not so, concerning the oils. the ways will need way oil. there are combination oils, however, mostly used in surface grinders, that are clearly designated as such.

I would not argue with that.
Anyway the manual specifies OH-MH 68 for all lubrication. Furthermore the gearbox and ways are lubricated from the same tank, so it is impossible to have different oils for them.

/Staffan

Back