What's new
What's new

Toyota 3FG15 Service Questions

riseandgrind

Cast Iron
Well, since I have seen a few threads discussing forklifts and lot's of good information being passed on, figured I would ask a few questions.

I recently purchased a little Toyota Forklift 3k Lifting Capacity, 2 stage mast, LPG, Pneumatic Tires.

Model: 3FG15 according to the tag

Anyhow just some general questions

1. Motor oil? I read Delo 400 will work
2. Small leak developed on Tilting Mast - Where can I add more fluid and what type?
3. My e-brake works great, my brakes work, but feel very hard and the e-brake seems to stop it better.
4. Tried to find a manual, no such luck

There is this cap labeled OIL what goes in there? Looks like hydraulic fluid?
There is also another cap (orange top) I opened that and it almost looks like some filter but seems solid?

Sorry for the NOOBIE questions this is my first forklift

That looks like the hydraulic fluid tank and the orange cap is the tank breather. Add hyd fluid to the "oil cap" ISO 32 most likely. Autozone has it in 5 gal buckets. Delo 15-40 would be as good as anything.

I also noticed that when I start the Toyota and I have it in Neutral it's making a sound almost like the engine is knocking......but as soon as I press in the clutch pedal it's quiet. Clutch works good, and I know the motor isn't knocking, that's just the closet sound I could compare it to.

Throw out bearing maybe going out?

Couple of things in generalities. The hydraulic oil is often carried in a tank built into the sideframe of the forklift. Also there is often a gasoline tank built into the other opposite sideframe of the forklift...its basically abandoned if LPG fuel is fitted.

As far as the brakes you should probably go thru them and get new wheel cylinders and replace fluid and possibly master cylinder. Moisture gets in eventually and it plus brake fluid are great friends...to the eventual ruin of the moving parts. The parking brake may stop the flywheel. Sometimes a shuttle valve in the brake system is fitted which puts the transmission in neutral when the brake is pressed to avoid overload/overtemp in the transmission in warehouse duty.

If you are starting to leak any fluid from either mast or tilt cylinders, its time to start sourcing replacement kits and planning to rebuild your cylinders. Its easy other than just being a lot of heavy work on stuff requiring cleanliness and delicate assembly :) But a drip will shortly become a flood as the seals are likely old and cracked. The more you test the lifting capacity, the faster it will progress.

You might be surprised how clean the oil is. Propane, because of its "perfect combustion" does not foul the oil with long-chain hydrocarbon soot nearly as fast as a gasoline engine.

Good luck, and congrats, its a great tool for any shop :)

Couple of things in generalities. The hydraulic oil is often carried in a tank built into the sideframe of the forklift. Also there is often a gasoline tank built into the other opposite sideframe of the forklift...its basically abandoned if LPG fuel is fitted.

As far as the brakes you should probably go thru them and get new wheel cylinders and replace fluid and possibly master cylinder. Moisture gets in eventually and it plus brake fluid are great friends...to the eventual ruin of the moving parts. The parking brake may stop the flywheel. Sometimes a shuttle valve in the brake system is fitted which puts the transmission in neutral when the brake is pressed to avoid overload/overtemp in the transmission in warehouse duty.

If you are starting to leak any fluid from either mast or tilt cylinders, its time to start sourcing replacement kits and planning to rebuild your cylinders. Its easy other than just being a lot of heavy work on stuff requiring cleanliness and delicate assembly :) But a drip will shortly become a flood as the seals are likely old and cracked. The more you test the lifting capacity, the faster it will progress.

You might be surprised how clean the oil is. Propane, because of its "perfect combustion" does not foul the oil with long-chain hydrocarbon soot nearly as fast as a gasoline engine.

Good luck, and congrats, its a great tool for any shop :)

After having owned this little lift for a few months, I honestly don't know how I got by without one :)

Thanks for the information. Any idea where I can source a manual?

Also where can I purchase seals for the tilting mast? I would assume if I am going to fix one side I might as well fix both sides while I am it.

Any ideas as to the sound it makes while idling? Kind of like an engine knocking sound.

Yes today when I checked the oil it looked brand new!

Back