What's new
What's new

TpF thread callout

Mr.Bronze

Cast Iron
I have not seen this thread call out in the past (I think)
Anyone have any thoughts? I'm kind of leaning towards ISO 30° Trapezoidal, but the F in the call out has me second guessing that idea.

TpF65x6
See attached

tpf thread question.jpg

Thanks!

The part has an external tooth gear. The ID has only a 2mm chamfer. For some reason, this does not seem like this part would have an ID thread, but perhaps a spline? The 65mm dimension calls out the word (PITCH) after 6. Perhaps a 6 tooth spline with 65mm major.

I'm obviously guessing, but still does not look like a threaded part with the ID having a finish callout. A spline would make sense to have that callout.

The part has an external tooth gear. The ID has only a 2mm chamfer. For some reason, this does not seem like this part would have an ID thread, but perhaps a spline? The 65mm dimension calls out the word (PITCH) after 6. Perhaps a 6 tooth spline with 65mm major.

I'm obviously guessing, but still does not look like a threaded part with the ID having a finish callout. A spline would make sense to have that callout.

Agreed, I would hazard a guess they want a Trapezoidal Form spine not a thread.

This is one of those times when a call to the customer is in order.

It doesn't make sense here, but where I worked, TPF stood for Temperature, Pressure, Flow. I don't think that they're sizing a control valve on that drawing.
JR

I'm kind of leaning towards ISO 30° Trapezoidal, but the F in the call out has me second guessing that idea.
Could the "F" be for "female"? I know that's somewhat obvious on the print, but in standard prints we still use the "A" & "B" designations for male and female even though it's generally obvious.

FWIW, I too am just guessing; throwing out possibilities.

Why are some so hesitant to contact a customer? You get to know them and they get to know you. I've found that "the personal touch" often makes the difference.

Some people want a sanity check before they contact the customer and then find they overlooked something blazingly obvious. Some people want some discussion of possibilities so they are sure to have all their questions answered in the first call.

Dennis

Some people want a sanity check before they contact the customer and then find they overlooked something blazingly obvious. Some people want some discussion of possibilities so they are sure to have all their questions answered in the first call.

Dennis

I guess I'm not "some people" :) I've no objection to my customers asking questions and they do often. I ask questions too. How else can misunderstandings be avoided?

I guess I'm not "some people" :) I've no objection to my customers asking questions and they do often. I ask questions too. How else can misunderstandings be avoided?

Gordon, let me try this more s l o w l y so maybe you understand it. No one has said they won't ask the customer if they need to. What they are looking for is some discussion to clarify their thinking BEFORE they talk to the customer, to be sure they are not asking really obvious stupid questions, and also to be sure they ask all the right questions to get the information they need in the first call.

Dennis

This is one of those times when a call to the customer is in order...

Yeah, if there's something on the print you don't understand the "first" thing you do is call the customer. Guessing at something like this isn't going to win you any brownie points.

Still boggles my mind how many people are afraid to "communicate" with their customers--there's no guilt or shame in having questions...

This is one of those times when a call to the customer is in order.

It doesn't make sense here, but where I worked, TPF stood for Temperature, Pressure, Flow. I don't think that they're sizing a control valve on that drawing.
JR

I am all about calling my customers with questions, but with this one in particular, he sends me stuff that he is not sure of either. I translate all sorts of stuff for him, and he likely does not know off the top of his head either what the end part will look like.

Here is the full print
tpf thread full.jpg

I do think there is a gear on the outside of it(125 pitch dia, z=50, 2.5 mod 20° pressure angle, if i am correct), but I am pretty sure it is a thread on the ID - specifically a left handed thread, with a mysterious call out for it. I will end up having to call the customer to have them chase it back up the chain for clarification it looks like - if it has everyone here scratching their heads.

Attachments

• tpf thread full.jpg
    tpf thread full.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 3,834
Last edited:
I will end up having to call the customer to have them chase it back up the chain for clarification it looks like - if it has everyone here scratching their heads.

I quit scratching the bare spot years ago.

Used to have the same problem with tooling drawing for our German (Ex-Cell-O) FWD equipment. They were taking the German drawings, copying, and then doing mark-ups. Too cheap to buy a PC with AutoCAD back then.
JR

I got this drawing from a customer who doesn't have any idea what this thread callout (50 TpF) is. Anybody knows the standard? Seems like an obsolete Euro/Italian callout as the drawing is a dated Italian one.

imgonline-com-ua-impr-Scanned-Text-zq-Lb-NB2-P2k-C.jpg

Back