What's new
What's new

TR-74 Right Hand Carbide Blades?

Elwood1968

Cast Iron
Are TR-74 carbide blades (right hand) still available? I acquired an old Goddard & Goddard (an old Detroit company that made tooling - their abandoned factory, complete with "GO & GO Co." in glazed brick in the factory powerplant smokestack, still exists on the northwest side of the city) 10" face mill for cast iron that uses these blades, but can't seem to find replacements anywhere.

100_1640.jpg 100_1641.jpg

If you find any, astonish us all and post the source here. Go&Go tools were reasonably common, but I don't think there was ever a second source for their proprietary cutters. And the dominance of pressed carbide inserts has pretty much eliminated the market for serrated HSS and serrated brazed carbide inserts. So that's an example of perfectly usable but obsolete technology. Hopefully, you got that for a song.

I can't see the actual condition of the cutting edges from the forum photos, but I'd recommend sending the entire cutter out for resharpening. It was common practice to sharpen serrated inserts in place on their cutter body to ensure concentricity. If I were doing it (I have a Cincinnatti #2 tool and cutter grinder specifically to support my horizontal mill habit), I would leave the faces alone and simply shorten the inserts to reproduce the original geometry. The serrations are intended to let you extend the inserts as they get sharpened shorter.

If you want a fussy project (not recommending this), you could acquire an appropriate serration cutter and make your own brazed inserts.

Thanks for the reply. The 10" face mill was a "freebie", tossed in with some other items, and now I know why.

Unfortunately, the cutting edges are in bad shape, likely due to improper storage over the years. Plenty of chips and damage. But perhaps enough meat left to move them up and resharpen as you suggested. Just have to find someone to do the job, as I don't have the equipment or knowledge.

Back