Tramming Vertical Mill with Articulated Arm question - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a steel ring of about 9" diameter that is about 1-1/2" thick, ground parallel flat. I can sweep in a full circle very quickly without any slot 'bump'. I made the ring about 17 years ago....it hasn't worn out yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by accentphotograph View Post
    Thank you to everyone for the advice and knowledge. I am a glutton for punishment so last night I printed a dual gauge traming device and I was going to put the Mitutoyo digitalis in and realized that would be too number memory so I went with cheap dials instead. The punishment is that the .stl I used printer a 20.22mm shaft for the collet and my collets are SAE.
    So now my 3/4” is too small and the 7/8” too loose. Now to turn the 22.22mm down to something like 0.750” 😂🧐😥. I am going whole hog. After getting the left and right dead on the nose the front to back is off so now I am going to take my time, three point mount the base, use the 8” machinists level and get the base to table as close to perfect and then wrestle with the nods. Thank you again!
    Uhmm ... much as I love my 3d printer, and much as I use it for all sorts of things, I wouldn't trust a 3d-printed double-gauge for tramming.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some set a 123 block or a JoBlock on the table set zero at a .030 rise on the indicator and then slide that block carefully under to position and out so avoiding bumping the key ways going around. Yes setting 1 and 2 opposites long and cross directions. It can be a bugger to get .002 both ways.
    Some times it can be better to tram the part or the vise with a shim if the job is very fussy.

Agree a steel ring can be very handy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    If you are using the quill you will find that .003 tilt moves the cutter a fair ways between quill up and down. I have a 7" diameter tapered roller bearing race that I lay on the table as a track for my indicator. I lower the table and tram with the quill down as this magnifies any error in tram. If the head has been tilted I rough it in with a 9" B&S machinists square before traming. You would be amazed how close you can get it with a square.

got a 7 inch bearing race too,,,best way to tram

when you get close,,,tap it in with a dead blow

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where would one get an affordable bearing race of 7" to 9" diam?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Visit some local machine shops. One or the other of them will have some take-offs that would otherwise be destined for the scrap bin. I can't even count the number of large bearing races I've seen go into the scrap bin. Don't work in a large shop anymore or I'd get you one for shipping.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you know any one who works at an industrial factory Such as a metal rolling company. I use a bearing race from 1 of our rolling mills It's about 8"OD with a 5" ID and 5"wide WE have some bearings that have an ID of 20" but that's a little too big lol. 20 years ago they were $40,000 for the set of 2 bearings used on each end of a roll. I haven't heard what they cost now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think these are made any longer, but they make tramming a breeze.tramming-ring.jpg
    I use mine with a CO-AX indicator

RWO

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ebay has tramming rings for under $100. See https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+ring&_sacat=0

RWO

10. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys make tramming WAY too complicated.
    First get the "nod" close by eye.
    Then using a single indicator, tram the X direction.
    So now you have a rough number for side-to-side in the X direction,
    use that as a number to shoot for when adjusting the "nod" in the Y direction.
    Then do the X and the Y a second time to get things dead nuts, and you are done.
    No double indcators, and done in 2 minutes.
    You just need to go about it the right way.
    Try as I suggest, and you will see how easy it is when you apply a little forethought
    to the process, instead of just grabbing for numbers like a Vegas slot machine.

--Doozer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those Ebay tramming rings are exactly what you need. I woulda bought one but I made my own before there was an Ebay and before Al Gore even invented the internet.

13. Likes Kiwi2wheels liked this post