Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I along with many here romance about building machines, and likely have designed a few-built a few more. Like fciron complexity happens real fast if starting with proper materials, add in found object and you are in for an unfinished product. Namely, the found object is in reality the easiest sourced part of the build. If you want to make a wood lathe or spinning lathe it could be start.
    I would ask how many manual tools/jigs with moving parts have you made, and then how many you can hit with a hammer and still return to perfection? you need at least that thought for bed, that is not even the cross or tailstock or screws.
    I used to be at home with a power hammer, a friend who is the hammer whisperer and I thought about building self contained hammers - and I have access to shop that can do most of it. In the end we found we couldn't build one better than the seihinler price or glasser quality - that is before we even had a piece of steel in hand, just pencil and paper and lots of diagrams with numbers. point is, if you are going to make a tool it should be one you need and can not get, custom to job, or you are at point that you feel you can make one better faster stronger cheaper than ones on the market. There is the odd exception if you have love of machine - I still want to make a hammer, and I will make a fly press because I think it would be fun, not because it is cheaper/better/easier than having on made in india delivered on a pallet. the base, well I have and would make better stronger cheaper and with smaller footprint - again I have access to material and shop of scale.

2. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is another world to pre 1970s......if you had a pile of old truck bits,there were always people figuring out how to repurpose them into potatao washers,carrot pickers,conveyors,cranes,and a million other things could be made from bits ..........nowdays ,no one does anything for themselves ,they just sit down and whine about how they haven got something......Not PM forum members ,obviously.

4. Likes strokersix liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    This is another world to pre 1970s......if you had a pile of old truck bits,there were always people figuring out how to repurpose them into potatao washers,carrot pickers,conveyors,cranes,and a million other things could be made from bits ..........nowdays ,no one does anything for themselves ,they just sit down and whine about how they haven got something......Not PM forum members ,obviously.
    Nor farmers.... but let's not start... The scarcest resource, any era, is TIME.

Wisest to build only what CANNOT simply be purchased. Fixtures ON a vise, rotab, faceplate, toolpost, chuck top-jaws, But not the vise, rotab, facelate, toolpost, or chuck itself.

And surely not the lathe or a mill itself.

Not when salvageable ones are still being sent-off for the value of their mass in Iron scrap.
    Last edited by thermite; 07-12-2019 at 12:26 PM.

6. Likes AlfaGTA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 14 inch long and less than an inch in crossection and I want to use it as homemade lathe spindle.
    This is just a bad idea
    Sure you could use black pipe and make it work but it won't be a great or even good setup. I'd actually start here over your choice.
    Just because the shaft looks nicely finished and is induction hardened does not make it a good candidate.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    A 14 inch long and less than an inch in crossection and I want to use it as homemade lathe spindle.
    This is just a bad idea
    Sure you could use black pipe and make it work but it won't be a great or even good setup. I'd actually start here over your choice.
    Just because the shaft looks nicely finished and is induction hardened does not make it a good candidate.
    Bob
    I want to clear up two things, 1st wanting to build a truly functioning has been on my (bucket) list for years, 2nd the shaft I'm thinking of is really only meant as a boot strap. I Am thinking along the lines that I could make keep making improved pieces (taper inserts, live center, different plates, boring setups) till I can turn a better shaft and have the tooling ready to be able to then bore that shaft.
    This is why I was asking about very good options for 1 inch bearings to keep runout to a minimum so I can make the pieces needed.
    terramir

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by terramir View Post
    I want to clear up two things, 1st wanting to build a truly functioning has been on my (bucket) list for years, 2nd the shaft I'm thinking of is really only meant as a boot strap. I Am thinking along the lines that I could make keep making improved pieces (taper inserts, live center, different plates, boring setups) till I can turn a better shaft and have the tooling ready to be able to then bore that shaft.
    This is why I was asking about very good options for 1 inch bearings to keep runout to a minimum so I can make the pieces needed.
    terramir
    Long ago and far.. well,.. South Hills of Pissburgh.. I earned a good grade in HS shop class off taking a length of burn-off from "drill steel" (had spent the summer learning about core-drilling..) and made a "first step" towards a DIY lathe.

A modified copy of a South Bend 10" toolroom lathe spindle, but meant to take roller bearings a la the 10" Logan setting next to it, rather than Bronze. All nicely threaded, Proper "register' for a chuck, finely fitted bearing seats.. just no other mating parts yet done.

Mind - I had both of those two lathes to work with, and they were each less than two years in service.

I quit while I was still not too deep into it, because... the hard part wasn't the spindle at all.

One has to gin up a bed that is worth having, and then a carriage.

"Many years" before one ever gets there, a used lathe, COMPLETE, proved to be far the better way to go.

Our Industrial Arts classes, BTW, had a wise mission statement:

Not to teach us how to personally make everything. Only to teach us to understand how most things HAD to BE made. So we could be wiser purchasers. And more effective employees and wiser supervisors of other employees.

Passing-on a taste of that now.

Suggest you hunt-down then restore something already proven "fit for a purpose". You need to do that to understand both "fit" and "purpose" if nothing else. So far, you aren't even on the same planet.

DIY only when there are no longer such goods to be had and YOUR OWN ones have become proven to be "fit for a purpose".

Otherwise? You are simply chasing metallic masturbation.

And.. if there is NFW you can give it up? Go and look at how a dirt-simple, yet legendary effective Adolf Muehlmatt/Hamilton sensitive drillpress is put together. DIY yerself a decent - even "improved" equivalent.

That's do-able-scale work. You'll then have something useful, and "sooner".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by terramir View Post
    terramir
    And that's just fine.

But not here.

Please read the rules, try over at www.homeshopmachinist.com

and if you want to add stepper motors, try the "cnc zone dot com"