What's new
What's new

Trav-a-dial -- oil filled?

catalytic

Cast Iron
I just picked up a Trav-a-dial 7S. These are the new/bigger black models with no knob. It was left upside down, and a bunch of oil has accumulated in the dial.

Is this newer model oil-filled, or is this coolant that leaked in?

I've taken a part a bunch of these, but only the older silver and black units with a knob -- they've been pretty dry inside or a light oil film only.

I just rebuilt a newer one 7S and no, it is definitely not oil filled. And they certainly are not sealed good enough to be immersed in coolant or cutting oil. You could probably wash it out with parafin-naptha and then oil the pivots and gears like a watch and it should be ok. Unfortunately after a full clean/rebuild, I found the convex roller wheel was so worn that there was no adjustment. And last I checked, parts are NLS from anybody.

I recently sold a 7S and bought a DRO with almost $200 left over. Not supposed to be full of oil.

I installed a 7A on my HLV-H 20+ years ago. They do want the felt oiled often with way oil but in my installation the felt it on the low side so it does not fill the dial but runs off on the rail.

Back