What's new
What's new

Treadmill Motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrxR

Plastic
How low of an rpm will a treadmill motor run ? Will it run at 160 - 200rpm?

Im looking to put together something on a budget for turning rifle brass necks.

The other thing I was looking at was using the 1/4 HP 1725 single phase motor I have here combined with a 10:1 gearbox but would like something variable speed.

How difficult would it be to make a treadmill motor work?

Any other options would be appreciated.

Thanks

How much torque do you need? Treadmill motor will run that low, and still have some torque (if you get a good one), but the single phase motor with a gearbox will have more torque. No charts or spec sheets, just seat of my pants enginerding.

If you want industrial grade look on eBay for "Bodine DC gear motor". Bodine makes geared motors for automated systems and those motors have an integrated gear reduction box to get the RPM of the output shaft down to low speeds for applications like what you want. Using a DC controller will give you speed control. Used they can be found fairly inexpensively.

For a cheap solution you might want to look at automotive window mechanisms.

Steve

I have used treadmill motors on two occasions. One for the belt feed on a 36" Performax sander and one for a feed on a friends band saw he wanted to convert to metal cutting. Both worked very well and did not overheat. The other thing about them is they are pretty much free. I see a lot of those machines going into the dump for one reason or another. Got both of mine for free that way. Craigslist usually has some under "free stuff". Very easy to control the speed and they have a lot of torque.

Using treadmill motors in the machine shop just screams of
I am a hobbyist and I am too cheap to buy the suitable solution.
Home gamers seem to have more time than money, which if fine.
It is just frustrating to read such non-productive / non-professional
topics on PM. That is the reason I hardly visit HSM any more.
Cheap people just irritate me in their methods of spending dollars
to save a dime. Happens every time in the long run.
Not trying to be the moderator. Just saying my opinion about posts
about using the cheap scrap salvage methods to get things done in
the machine shop really drags down the image of PM. Peace.
--Doozer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back