What's new
What's new

tree journeyman 310. Head lubrication and head removal questions?

sam_stlouis

Cast Iron
I have 2 tree journeyman 310. The owners manual discusses the auto oiler for the ways,screws, and spindle. But does not discuss the head. On the head is a lube chart, but im not really sure what it is showing. For those not familar with the 310, it is the same machine as the 325 but instead of a spindle drive, it has a 3 phase variable speed head, similar to a bridgeport variable speed head. See pics for lube chart, and mechanical drawings.

On the mechanical drawings it shows an oil cup on the front of the head, but neither machine has it, or a hole for it, I have not seen any pics of one that had it either, part # 116. It also shows a plug, part # 118, on one of my machines someone put a grease fitting there, so im wondering if this is one of the lube points on chart. either way im not sure of all 3 points the chart shows. Any had a 310 in the past and can remember what needed to be lubed in the head.

Second, can I remove the entire head, motor, vaariable speed unit, spindle, quill, 100% of the head and reinstall it. Or will this mess with accuracy. The owners manual seems to make it look like its not to hard a job. My intention was to use one of my machines, and part out the other one for spare parts. One machine seems to have a better base, and the other better head, so am wondering about swapping the whole head assembly. doable or a bad idea.

image1(23).JPGimage2(16).jpg

If you have instagram, there's a guy on there I want to say has a J310 that he's rebuilt the head and might have and answer for you. Goes by the handle: rettig_engineering.

I'm tearing into the table of my J325 retrofit right now. Getting it all cleaned out and making sure all the lube lines are free.

Back