What's new
What's new

Tri Flow.. explain the name

bikebuilder

Stainless
WD40 has been well hashed out as far as what the hell it means...

Tri Flow anyone? I looked around but couldn't come up with anything.

Expiring minds want to know.

Here's the ingredients and % by weight:

Heavy Naphthenic Petroleum Oil
Aliphatic Solvent
Propane
Butane
Heavy Paraffinic Oil
Heavy Naphthenic Petroleum Oil
Barium Dinonyl Naphthalene Sulfonate
Tetrafluoroethene Polymer

Yep, I'd say it's from the claimed action: " triple action cleaning, protecting and lubricating," Just like 3-in-1 oill, which also cleans protects and lubricates:

3inonenoil04.jpg

I'm sorry, but you are all incorrect. I happen to know Florence, the person who came up with the formula. She had been working on it for months, with discouraging results, and every time she talked to the boss about it, he always said the same thing:

Try, Flo. Just try, Flo.

Thank you for taking the time to read this edifying and completely bogus bit of historical nonsense! :)

When it was first released the name on the can was "Triflon". My best guess is whomever owns "Teflon" bitched, or someone else pointed out that there was no Teflon in it and the name changed rapidly.

When it was first released the name on the can was "Triflon". My best guess is whomever owns "Teflon" bitched, or someone else pointed out that there was no Teflon in it and the name changed rapidly.

I recall the triflon/triflow name switch. and rationalized the same reasoning.

I think I had cans of both labels on the bench at the same time. Don't use it any more. Just another chemical jumbo that I don't need.

Back