What's new
What's new

Tribulation: Locked lista cabinet, lost keys - how i lived to talk about it

And here I was rooting for the cabinet to win....

A wise man once told me:
"A gentleman knows How to play the bagpipes....but does not."

You can order a key from Lista.
The lock is difficult to pick. One can drill out the cylinder and once removed to rotate the bar with players (I did it once). However this is little risky and if the bar drops the process is much more difficult.

Listas have two versions of the lock bar. The newer one is a hook shaped flap that pivots top and bottom, to grasp the
backs of the drawers. This one is easy, you spread two drawers apart with a pry bar or large screwdrive, and put a
long thin sheet metal tool, with a hook on the end, and grab the lockbar, pull it to the left.

The older lock bars are sheet steel and ride up and down behind the drawers. For those you hole saw the back of the
cabinet at the centerline and push the bar up.

Punch the lock barrel with a cartridge nail gun is the fastest i have ever seen, like faster than plasma cutter fast! In fact the only way to go faster is probably high explosives! Most cabinet lock barrels have a shitty die casting housing, a good hard impact and the guts depart!

Listas have two versions of the lock bar. The newer one is a hook shaped flap that pivots top and bottom, to grasp the
backs of the drawers. This one is easy, you spread two drawers apart with a pry bar or large screwdrive, and put a
long thin sheet metal tool, with a hook on the end, and grab the lockbar, pull it to the left.

The older lock bars are sheet steel and ride up and down behind the drawers. For those you hole saw the back of the
cabinet at the centerline and push the bar up.

Lista has had at least three distinct generations of locking systems.

The OP is in reference to the oldest of the systems that I've seen, before one-drawer-at-a-time.

What is shown in the video is not what I've done before but it seems to have worked. A more common method, and I think less net grief, is to drill about 1/4" diameter, centered on the gap between the lock body and cylinder deep enough to clear out all the pins (about 3/4"). This method can be done without moving the cabinet, the locking mechanism will still work by turning the cylinder with a screwdriver and you can buy a replacement lock from Lista to return the cabinet to full service.

Punch the lock barrel with a cartridge nail gun is the fastest i have ever seen, like faster than plasma cutter fast! In fact the only way to go faster is probably high explosives! Most cabinet lock barrels have a shitty die casting housing, a good hard impact and the guts depart!

The method you describe is chosen by ignoramuses lacking adult supervision.

If the shoe fits . . .

Perhaps you don't know the difference between a Lista cabinet of the referenced vintage and lesser cabinets.

Are you talking about my orange hot rod paint job.. If so; thats like your opinion man... lol

I don't buy tools to resell them, and I've had so many complements on that paint job, that it's ridiculous... I'll let you know if I need any bad tool fashion advise...

No offence intended, That color is HIDEOUS! Do you want to ensure that your stuff has no resale value or what?

A "Hilti gun" is a good idea.

It can be used inside a shop with no legal hassles, no problems with richocet, and is fast.

Get the job done, and get on with productive work.

The method you describe is chosen by ignoramuses lacking adult supervision.

If the shoe fits . . .

Perhaps you don't know the difference between a Lista cabinet of the referenced vintage and lesser cabinets.

Nahh i don't know the difference between lista and others, but i do know a lock you dont have keys for in the 21st century is not going to be used again, ergo why cut holes in a nice cabinet, just destroy the bit that does not matter, the lock barrel!

FYI the hilti is not my idea and is being used by bike thief’s over here, the blow is so hard and fast it opens any padlock out there, watch the You tubes!

Back