What's new
What's new

Tricky rigging project - hoping for ideas

ericfox

Plastic
Hey guys - we are owner/operators trying to rig a roll on a belt press for removal - then install a new one. The one with yellow arrow in attached picture. As you can see it’s in a tricky spot. We have an overhead crane that can lift and pull from the side that the picture was taken. The other side is mostly restricted for access but we can get in there a little if needed. There is a pan above the rolls that prevents any overhead help underneath - it cannot be removed - and there are the rolls underneath that must remain. Also it is important not to damage the coating on the rolls during removal and install of the new ones. The rolls are roughly 10’ long and 12” diameter. The coating is similar to a thick enamel.

We can move the roll to the left as needed.

Any ideas?

We have all the typical rigging equipment - web slings, chains, hoists, come alongs, etc

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• 3CB0A4B2-5DCC-4B8A-8100-786E3CCA9E08.jpg
    3CB0A4B2-5DCC-4B8A-8100-786E3CCA9E08.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 452964DF-6CBD-4733-A31B-08764AD66676.jpg
    452964DF-6CBD-4733-A31B-08764AD66676.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 281
Can you set up some rollers in a vee (similar to a boat trailer) and roll it out a little? Once it is out a little, support that end with the crane and strap, roll out most of the way and grab other end with another strap. Rollers should be on sort of set up that will allow them to lift the roll you are removing.

If it's solid, it'll be a bit over 2,500 pounds, depending on how small and for how long it's necked down on the ends.

Can you try to get in there with a fork truck with the forks set very close together and use it as a crane maybe? That's going to be tough without disassembly for sure. I think I would try to use the lower rolls as support with some wood blocking and just slowly work it up a little at a time with what little lifting room you've got to a bit above that beam, then try to slide it out a little at a time until you can get the lift at center of gravity. Make sure to block the outbound end as necessary while your working it out of there, and USE CHOCKS so it doesn't roll and kill somebody.

If it's solid, it'll be a bit over 2,500 pounds, depending on how small and for how long it's necked down on the ends.

Can you try to get in there with a fork truck with the forks set very close together and use it as a crane maybe? That's going to be tough without disassembly for sure. I think I would try to use the lower rolls as support with some wood blocking and just slowly work it up a little at a time with what little lifting room you've got to a bit above that beam, then try to slide it out a little at a time until you can get the lift at center of gravity. Make sure to block the outbound end as necessary while your working it out of there, and USE CHOCKS so it doesn't roll and kill somebody.

It could be hollow which is why i asked. That information should have been included in his original query.

That looks like a job for a compact beam and trolley to support the back side. Make it nice for a permanent installation and have the customer pay for it.

Is there clearance to strap, using a few 2" ratchet straps, a pipe or beam of some kind, to it, which sticks out a few feet from the frame, then lift that? If you can attach a beam, and put a counterweight on the outboard end, then pick as close to the frame as possible, you should be able to lift it just enough to slide it out- assuming your overhead crane would move in the right direction.
I have seen some press riggers bring in rolling A frames, just exactly big enough to span the presses, too. This enables you to roll your pick point out, and slide the roll out the side.

At a rolling mill where I worked briefly they had a device for removing rolls. It had a socket on one end that fit over the roll neck. The other end was a big counterweight. It was slid onto the roll neck and the counterweight was supported by blocking. The pick point was moved to the balance point. The tool and roll were lifted and withdrawn from the housing.

Is there clearance to strap, using a few 2" ratchet straps, a pipe or beam of some kind, to it, which sticks out a few feet from the frame, then lift that? If you can attach a beam, and put a counterweight on the outboard end, then pick as close to the frame as possible, you should be able to lift it just enough to slide it out- assuming your overhead crane would move in the right direction.
I have seen some press riggers bring in rolling A frames, just exactly big enough to span the presses, too. This enables you to roll your pick point out, and slide the roll out the side.

I was thinking something along this line but with using a forklift. Using a single "fork", inch it in and strap to it. Cover the roll to the left with some padding/protective material and INCH it out very slowly. Reverse to install.

-Ron

We do have a portable beam/trolly we use for rolls that we can get overhead access to - however this one is tougher due to the pan above it. We can’t move the pan without removing the entire upper portion of the machine. Good suggestion though

Good idea - I did think about trying to use a heavy piece of angle strapped to the top and hanging weights of the end. I’ll think more on that general idea. There is grating where we pull it out so no forklift or machines can access unfortunately. Only about 8ft of distance to the next machine so we will pull out at angle when we get to the end

All these ideas are much appreciated and are getting me to think- maybe lift up one end with crane and the other with come-along- then cut 2 pieces of angle longer than the span by about 8”. Then cut out 4” on each side of just one leg of the angle. That way we could rotate the angle inwards to make a T shape. The flat longer leg that is left will sit flat on the beam on each side. It won’t go anywhere due to the downward leg hitting on the beam. We can lay felt down on top - then lower the roll back down and drag out. We should have 3/16 or 1/4” thick 3x3 angle at the plant

Is this the only one you have to remove/replace? Can it be done from either side?

We have 2 others on this machine but they are easier to get at. The other side has a platform so you have about 4’ of working space under that - and no access for the crane.

We have 4 other presses that will need rolls removed. I’ve done this a number of times since I’ve worked here and this is only one that stumped us. Thanks to you guys I have some ideas to try tomorrow. I like the bag idea too - I’ll look into that today

Back