What's new
What's new

Trouble Sourcing grooved NU bearings for gear box.

zimbo

Aluminum
Morning All.

I am currently repairing a gear box for deutz DX 3.70 tractor. Can't find what I need locally and in South Africa. Have contacted a couple bearing houses in Virginia and California but not heard back from them.
1. DIN 005412 NU 209 EN
2. DIN 005412 RNU 211 EN-TN

Above numbers straight out of the tractor's parts book. Does the EN designations mean grooved?
Both are common as plain bearings but trouble is finding the ones with the groove on the outer race that retains the circlips.
SKF South Africa out of stock and last list price was $486 and $530 respectively. Waiting 8 weeks after payment.

Do you know of a reputable supply house in the Europe or US that would carry stock?

As normal NU 209 & NU 211 they about $25 ea.
Am I missing why so much more expensive and rare?

Last resort was thinking about cutting the groove myself. What groving tool would be best suited and insert? I assume ceramic. Have no experience with them. Someone on here was advertising ceramics and posted video of them turning bearing races. Impressive.

As always appreciate your advise and knowledge.

Greg

Sent from my BG2-U01 using Tapatalk

grind the circlip groove with one of those dirt cheap .040" thick 100mm angle grinder cut off blades for angle grinders. the groove will be mostly circular profile at the root of it which should not introduce stress risers.. where as would a square profile carbide cutting tool would produce a stress riser.

where as would a square profile carbide cutting tool would produce a stress riser.

You can grind or order also radiused or round nose lathe inserts.

Best lathe tool would be CBN, followed by ceramic and carbide. Brand name CBN grooving inserts are eye-watering expensive, chinesium CBN from aliexpress could be acceptable for one-offsie.
In a pinch you could grind your own ceramic or CBN grooving tool.

N stands for a groove in the outerrace Not EN
I checked both a old SKF and ********* catalog but cannot find what EN stands for
Perhaps a specific kind of cage ??
On edit
I just learned something more
E stands for bigger loadcapacity
Then EN may stand for bigger loadcapacity and a groove
TN stands for a specific kind of cage (single piece out of fiber-reinforced plastic)

Peter

grind the circlip groove with one of those dirt cheap .040" thick 100mm angle grinder cut off blades for angle grinders. the groove will be mostly circular profile at the root of it which should not introduce stress risers.. where as would a square profile carbide cutting tool would produce a stress riser.
Arh. What simplistity. Why didn't I think of that. [emoji87]. Thanks for that.

N stands for a groove in the outerrace Not EN
I checked both a old SKF and ********* catalog but cannot find what EN stands for
Perhaps a specific kind of cage ??
On edit
I just learned something more
E stands for bigger loadcapacity
Then EN may stand for bigger loadcapacity and a groove
TN stands for a specific kind of cage (single piece out of fiber-reinforced plastic)

Peter
Thanks Peter. By any chance could you PM me the data sheet for these 2 bearings.

Would you see anything wrong with using a not all NU 211 with non fiber cage?

On another note having a hard time finding a needle roller bearing. Basically fits on a 22mm shaft and sits in the casting. Was thinking making a bushing out of bronze or Vasconite. Did this on an older model Fergie and she is still running 5 yrs later.

I only have a page with standard prefixes and suffixes on bearings
If you google these you find plenty
No specific data on those
Needle roller fitting a 22mm shaft are plenty to have
The HK3022 for example with 30 mm OD
Peter

I had a similar issue. Needed a standard double row deep groove ball with seals and the snap ring. Unobatinium off the shelf.

Try Quality Bearings Online, UK company. They have their online catalog, but can get specials quickly, and I thought rather reasonably. They have a US number, but Simon in the UK is a pleasure to deal with. Mine had a QC sticker dated 6 days prior to me receiving them.

Good luck,

Dave

Back