What's new
What's new

Trying to find a boring bar in the Sandvik catalog...this is way too hard

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
So I normally grind custom tools but for this new job I need indexables.
I have Sandvik Coromant Coroturn 107 bars with 35 degree included angle inserts...perfect for what I have to do.
But I need a bar that orients the insert a bit differently from the bars I have.

So I go into the Sandvik web site to try to find something.
What a frustrating piece of shit!
I can't call up a page that shows me all the Coroturn 107 bars that take a VBMT 03 02 PF insert I want to look at.
When I eventually find the boring bar page I can see puny thumbnails of HUNDREDS of bars and external turning tools (WTF??) that are so small they show me nothing, and if I click on one to expand it and it's the wrong one, I can't close the window, go back and pick another.
I can't pick by insert
I can't see all the bars they offer for that insert so I can choose one
They have promo photos in their catalog scattered throughout it, but I can't just click on a photo and go to the page that offers these tools.

Am I fucking STUPID or is this site the un intuitive crap show I think it is.
I've been fucking around in it for an hour and I still can't make it work.
I'm about ready to make my own Godddamn bar and never buy from these assholes again.

Let's not even talk about the tool recommender function they are supposed to have.
I fill in the table
I look all over the fucking page to find a button to accept my inputs.
I find it and it's greyed out.
I look for unfilled fields.
I click on every frickin' button on the whole fucking page to see if I've missed something.
No Joy.

So what moron designed this ...what do they think they're doing?
Sandvik makes good tools but they sure don't know shit about making good websites!

They need to learn from McMaster Carr.

OK, rant off...I'm going to call my local tooling guy on Monday and just drop this whole baby into his lap.

You poor guys who have to do this all the time...I'd be bonkers by now if this was the sort of nonsense I'd have to go through all day.
Oh wait...I'm already bonkers.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

All I can say is that I've been frustrated by more than one website. When I'm looking for parts on
a site that lists lots of individual items it can be really frustrating to find stuff. We buy most of our
tooling from Technicut which means mostly Seco branded parts. I have paper catalogues for both
turning and milling categories and I always go to them first before trying to find anything on their
website. Some websites just get it; others not so much...

.....You poor guys who have to do this all the time...I'd be bonkers by now if this was the sort of nonsense I'd have to go through all day.
Oh wait...I'm already bonkers.

And that is exactly why I buy Iscar and Ingersoll. They have the best websites of any cutting tool companies, hands down. Period!

Sandvik and Walter share the prize for the most convoluted, confusing POS website.

Keep life simple: https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Index.aspx?GFSTYP=M

Marcus, I don't think it's you.

Small shop here, we use and like Sandvik products, they have some unique solutions to various problems and the performance of their stuff in general is very good for our requirements.

That said, a graduate degree in Sandvikology is required to understand their nomenclature/specs and a PHD in Sandvikology to find even the simplest items on their website.

I just download the catalog as a PDF and do a search for the insert.
In this case "VBMT". Hit the next button until the bar picture shows up.
By the way "VBMT 03 02 PF" is not a valid insert description. Maybe an 11 in there? Search "VBMT 11 03" as rad size and cb is optional

Not the best way but beats the heck out of leafing through 100s of catalog pages.
In the older printed catalogs the insert page listed the page numbers for holders that used that insert but I don't see that cross-reference information now.

And of course this insert fits in other people's bars but the "B" not super common.
Confusing as there are so many possible combinations of holders and inserts made over the years.

This why there are tool reps....let them try to figure it out. :)
Bob

Haha i can only agree. I use sandvik in my shop but my god there website is terrible to find tools you need if it's unknown.

I usually call them.

I really like having paper catalog that I can look for tools I need it and sandvik stopped making them years ago.

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

The Sandvik website is only worth a half a penny if you already know the name of the tool you're looking for, or at least 3/4 of it. It helps if you understand Sandvik specific nomenclature. The easiest way to find a holder, as mentioned above, is to search for your insert, and hit the "find matching tools" button, then drill down the filters by what you need.

So, for your insert, you'd pick "turning tool", then "general turning", then "turning indexable" then adaptive interface machine direction you would pick how the holder connects to the machine (For this demo I chose 3/4" round) and then I get 4 matching tools.

VBMT 11 03 02-PF 4325

The Sandvik site does suck if you don't know what you want.
I usually look in the book for what I want, then enter that part number on the site for everything about it like the 3D model and such.

Or like TeachMePlease said, type in the insert you're using and then go to "find matching tools" which can be faster.

IDK if it applies or not but some web pages look like a dead end when you get to an image but hitting the "Esc" key on your computer can back you up one step.

I just text a picture of what I want to my Sandvik rep and he gets me what I need.

The website takes some getting used to for sure.

I do like Seco's website, but you kinda sorta have to know what you're looking for to start with.

Ha HA:
Eat shit and die, Sandvik Catalog Weenies!!
I rolled my own out of an old 3/4" diameter ejector pin...no sale for YOU.

Not that they're going to go broke or anything just from losing the one piddly little sale, but ohhh the satisfaction!.
So about 3/4 hour of programming, 20 minutes on the wire EDM, half an hour of milling and an hour of design for a grand total of just under 3 hours.

At my Canadian charge out rate this would be a $360.00 CAD bar, so about a $260.00 bar in USD.
I think I got my ass handed to me as far as saving money, but I never did find this geometry even after all you guys graciously helped me figure out the catalog.

So I'm gonna forgive myself for making my own instead of persisting with a search to find something with this insert orientation.
Now to turn 200 little plastic pulleys with it.

Cheers

Marcus

Attachments

• DSCN5121.jpg
    DSCN5121.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 102
Ha HA:

Not that they're going to go broke or anything just from losing the one piddly little sale, but ohhh the satisfaction!.
So about 3/4 hour of programming, 20 minutes on the wire EDM, half an hour of milling and an hour of design for a grand total of just under 3 hours.

At my Canadian charge out rate this would be a $360.00 CAD bar, so about a $260.00 bar in USD.
I think I got my ass handed to me as far as saving money, but I never did find this geometry even after all you guys graciously helped me figure out the catalog.

So I'm gonna forgive myself for making my own instead of persisting with a search to find something with this insert orientation.

Cheers

Marcus

FWIW, I don't think anyone makes a bar like that anyway. Many times I've wasted hours looking for insert holders that look like they really should exist, but somehow inexplicably don't.

Ha HA:

Cheers

Marcus

So what's the approx. price of a std 3/4'' Sandvik bar, (cos I know Sandvik ain't cheap)

Chicago Land users

I go to COLMAR IND. SUPPLY 847-419-0044 and ask for Rich. He can find ANYTHING and 1/2 the price of most tool makers. He found me the same bar that was made by a member above I needed.

Back