What's new
What's new

tubing "bead" tool

cg285

Stainless
not sure of the nomenclature as this is not exactly a bead. 3/8" steel tubing. "bead" is 5" from end of tubing. what tool is used for this? and is there a way to do this economically in relatively small numbers? (25-50)
it is a stop so the tubing is inserted to a calibrated position (dipstick tube)

tubing bead.JPG

If you had 2 of those tools you might be able to do it. clamp both to tubes with the required gap and one end of both tools in a vise and the other gets a big c clamp, tighten both to crimp.
Or in a press with a larger pipe over your tube to push the top tool if not to far from ends.

thanks, however i already own that tool and it does a different style "bead" at the end of the tubing only - won't work further in. this looks like the tubing is pulled together to form a "ridge" for lack of a better term

Gee...why didn't you post this little pearl of info in your OP ?....:nutter:

There used to be a tool used in plumbing. It put a bead in 3/8 od copper supply lines for lavs and toilets. The rod was drilled and a cam end inserted. When you twisted the L shaped handle the cam pushed a steel ball outward making the ridge. I still have it somewhere (I think). That held a brass washer in place under a rubber washer.

If you have the capability to "roll your own" tooling you could really easily make something like this with slight changes to put the bead wherever you like:

YouTube

Probably would need something like Ray's description for the inside of the tube.

You maybe could make or modify something like the Earls beading tool to make it work at that depth.

edit- tried to add a link, but it didn't work- just google Earls beading tool.

not the way this was made but that just might work, thanks

You could cut rings of the next size tube or buy brass compression rings. By the time you calibrate the ring forming machine you would be time and money ahead for only making 25. Fire sprinkler plumbing does similar but they roll a groove into the steel pipe from the outside. So it is the reverse of what you want. Hydroforming comes to mind as well. Some car headers are hydroformed from tube.
Bill D

Circular heating via induction coil followed by compression from the ends.
If you just have a few to make you can do it in an old lathe. Spin it while heating with a torch and then compress with the tailstock.

Circular heating via induction coil followed by compression from the ends.
If you just have a few to make you can do it in an old lathe. Spin it while heating with a torch and then compress with the tailstock.

i'll give that a shot and see how it works. if not then solder...

lathe trick worked. not as prominent as the sample but doable. a little time consuming.
i guess the way the original was made is a well guarded secret - like rubber molding

beaded tube.JPG

lathe trick worked. not as prominent as the sample but doable. a little time consuming.

Thanks for the followup. Interesting that the lathe trick worked, and it looks pretty good.

When I look at both photos of the original bead, I can't help but think I see a seam and wonder if it is two pieces, pressed and soldered, or friction welded.

Back