What's new
What's new

TUM35 Lathe

Lt250racer

Plastic
I just recently acquired a TUM 35 lathe and wanted to get some information about the machine. It did come with a taper attachment, steady rest and follow rest.

What are the pros and cons or anything in particular to watch out for?

Does anyone have an operating and a repair manual for this machine or recommend any literature I should purchase?

I did notice there seems to be some play in the rpm selector and have caught it in between speeds.

Any information would greatly be appreciated

Mine has a bit of play in between gears also, just gotta get used to the feel of it being in gear. Mine doesn't have a taper attach so jealous about that. Overall a good machine for its size, but it doesn't like to part off stuff. I wish I didn't need to change gear sets to do some threads but the set I use will do 95% of what I need. Make sure you level it well. I have a manual.

Mine has a bit of play in between gears also, just gotta get used to the feel of it being in gear. Mine doesn't have a taper attach so jealous about that. Overall a good machine for its size, but it doesn't like to part off stuff. I wish I didn't need to change gear sets to do some threads but the set I use will do 95% of what I need. Make sure you level it well. I have a manual.

I was hoping I had both gears sets when I purchased from the Online auction but that wasn’t the case.

Can the change gears be purchased anywhere or gonna have to be made?

Is the manual you have online that you can share?

What type of oil are you using for the headstock and carriage and I noticed there is an oil filter on the machine.

I appreciate the help just have a ton of questions and it seems like there not very much information about this machine on the web

I doubt you are going to find the change gears anywhere. I don't have the manual online but if you pester me I will copy it. I think im running iso 32 hydraulic oil in the headstock and vactra 2 in the carriage.

I have the manuals scanned. Send me your email by private message.

The change gears are unique - they have a metric spline in the center. Tough to reproduce easily.

Yep, ISO 32 for the headstock, vactra 2 for the carriage.

I have the manuals scanned. Send me your email by private message.

The change gears are unique - they have a metric spline in the center. Tough to reproduce easily.

Yep, ISO 32 for the headstock, vactra 2 for the carriage.

Thanks I sent you my email. I also just noticed where all the shafts run into the block and bushings at the end of the lathe, the little oil well is missing some sort of wick. Do you have any suggestions on a wicking material I can buy

You can buy felt wick material from McMaster-Carr by the foot in various diameters. Look under "Felt", and while you are at it buy a sheet of felt to make new way wipers if they use felt in them. Ken

Ok thanks everyone I appreciate the help. For the way felt wiper material I have seen soft medium and hard felts which should I go with?

I just picked up a TUM-35 myself. I ran this exact machine almost 30 years ago. Mine has the collet attachment ,taper attachment complete set of chance gears , steady and follower rest and the best part is a turret tailstock. If anyone has pictures of all the aluminum plates i have a buddy with a lazer engraver and can make new stainless plates. And i could sure use the operations and parts manuals is one of you guy's could send me a copy i would appreciate it alot. Thanks in advance Doug
[email protected]
[email protected]

I calculate that as 2,800$ dollars US money. I do not see mention of shipping cost. Worth while to copy the pictures since most of the gears have tooth count marked on them.
Bil lD

Just for reference, a 5000lb lathe skidded and shipped, right at $1200.
The machine was shipped from Holland Ohio, to WW Washington.
Those that follow machine tools for sale, know there are many of these TUM for sale. They are supposed to be good, but I have never seen one.
The many gov installations used Monarch here. I had to import an AXELSON, the Monarchs are great but old news.

If you are talking about the same TUM 35 I'm thinking of, they were actually made by FAMOT (currently part of DMG) in Poland. You may have some luck finding parts for it on a Polish online auction site (equivalent of ebay) Allegro. Here's someone trying to sell some change gears Koła zmianowe gitary do Tokarki TUM-35 Tokarka TUM 9274841442 - Allegro.pl

Try an email and see if they respond.

Pleszew production

Dmg Mori Pleszew - NaszeMiasto.pl

Most entities "in commerce" in Poland have one or many folks on staff who have good English skills. "Imperfect English" is the de facto language of a major part of global commerce. Much the same when touring the country, eyeball to eyeball as well.

Has anyone gave you pictures of the aluminum plates? And did you make any stainless laser engraved plates I’m curious how nice they would turn out. Mine are still somewhat readable but could use new ones.

Mine are mostly worn off, I have a manual and it has a copy of the charts in back. I copied a few and laminated them, I keep them on the wall next to the lathe. I would love to have some nice engraved ones made or make them myself, it just hasn't bugged me enough yet.

Back