What's new
What's new

Tungsten ball grinding; need help experienced ball bearing process

Kbdutson

Plastic
work for what I'd consider a start-up that is involved in grinding tungsten alloy balls for defense applications. My experience is in tool and die but have been assigned to improving our process. Currently we are experiencing a multitude of issues. Most notably, product breakage, leaking product from machines, and machine maintenance issues due to wear and breakage. We run small and vertical spindle machines with rill plates. We grind a sintered tungsten ball of about 32Rc. Non of our operators have any experience in ball grinding and very few have very limited manufacturing experience. Our tolerances are loose (+/- .002")and do not need a finish grind or lap. We have a process in place. This process though, I believe his cause for our problems. We currently run at high spindle speeds (100-120) and increase pressure on the hour up to 100 or 200 Kn, depending on product size (3mm or 6mm). I believe we need to add pressure early and keep spindle speeds lower (30-50). Our raw ball has a land on it that must be removed. We only use a deflash plate currently but are going to try isimg a plate with smaller radius than ball's for grind after land removal. I'm looking for ANY insight from anyone with experience. Spindle speeds for deflash and for grind? Plate groove specs and quantity? Coolant recommendations? Spindle speeds? Machine modifications? Timeframe on proper grind? Anything helps! I appreciate your time and look forward to any insight.

Back