What's new
What's new

Turbine oil no. 90 ?

ezduzit

Hot Rolled
What is it?

The manual for my "new" Okuma LS lathe calls for the reservoir to be filled with 2.5-gallons of turbine oil no. 90. An internet search does not find it. Can anyone tell me what is the present day equivalent of this oil?

All comments welcome. Appreciate the help.

Turbine oils are high grade hydraulic oils......one we used was called R&O 68....the ISO grades are like 46,68.etc......lathes generally use one of the two grades mentioned .....in a cold climate ,go for the 46.

Thanks for the comments so far fellas. Really don't want to make an arbitrary choice, like Vactra #2, just because I happen to have some. Still hoping to discover a true substitute for the turbine no. 90. The gearhead in my 10EE takes Mobil DTE oil light.

(1--My shop is in an alley in Venice.)

Chevron OC Turbine Oil 9 was an old, pre-ISO designation for a oxidation and corrosion resistant machine oil. It's now a ISO 32..in anyone's grade. Iso 32 is equivalent to a SAE 10 oil.

Stuart

Have the license copy of that exact lathe made in Korea (Dong Yang)
Stupid name , gorgeous lathe.

attachment.php

Run AW 46 in it , have for 20+ years no issues....
In Mobil that is "DTE 25"

Don't think Vactra #2 is a good choice for a lathe head stock if it has anti friction bearings on the spindle....Too heavy for higher speed ball or roller bearings, can generate excess heat.

FYI; On my version at least, the spindle bearings are not oil lubed. Oil is delivered to the head stock to lube the gears, spindle bearings are grease packed.....

Cheers Ross

chevron RANDO 46 0r 68 ? don't waste the money on mobil oils , just'cause the 40 yr old plaque sez so.

many equivalents are 1/2 the cost . in the billion dollar oil industry... do you really think one would be sub-standard to another.

marketing.

Appreciate all the comments fellas.

Further research has advanced thus far. Oil distributors have not been any help. But the Okuma distributor "Gosiger", in Cypress, California, was able to kindly identify the turbine oil "No. 90" reference as a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) #90, which cross references to ISO (International Organization for Standards) #VG32, which translates to Anti Wear Rust and Oxidation Stable of 32 viscosity which, in Mobil Oil terms equals DTE 24 or DTE Oil Light.

A cross reference chart (supplied me by Monarch) lists the following equivalents to ISO VG 32, in case anyone else can benefit from this exercise:

Hangsterfer's: Antiwear 32
Mobil: DTE 24/DTE Oil Light
Texaco: Rando HD 32/Regal R&O 32
Shell: Tellus 32/Tellus S 32
Exxon: Nuto H 32
Petro-Canada: Harmony AW 32/Harmony R&O 32

Again, my sincere thanks to all who have been kind enough to post their comments here.

I have never liked the water thin oils some lathes recommend,and always gone for a R&O 46......but it never gets freezing here,or anything like it inside a workshop.....Oils thicken quickly as temperature drops.

i call BS on that . and, unless you drive a high -compression device, like a corvette or a chainsaw- you
don't need a high-octane gas . it won't make your car run any better- if it wasn't designed for hi-test gas in the
first place...you don't need it.

"mid grade " is the funny one....the " i'm not sure " soccer -mom guilt. again -marketing to the dumb.

i wonder if "turbine oil" is a translation thing. i doubt a lathe gear box needs super refined, super clean oil.

To the OP,
These folks have a fairly good web site and you can glean alot of info on lubricants from them.
Petroleum Service Company | The Pioneer of Online Petroleum Sales
Dian Sir,
I don't think 'turbine' is a translation issue. It's term that is used to describe oils that separate from water rapidly. Think of a steam turbine and it's lubrication needs and the need to get the water out of the oil before it is reused in the system. Detergent oils tend to collect and hold water ( til it is cooked out or strained out, think internal combustion engine) where as turbine oils separate from water almost immediately.
Hope that helps
Stay safe
Calvin B
PS the the OP.. Nice machine BTW

i call BS on that . and, unless you drive a high -compression device, like a corvette or a chainsaw- you don't need a high-octane gas. ............

You might want to actually read what it says on the web site. Top Tier Gas is an industry standard that has to do with detergent content, not octane.

Steve

You might want to actually read what it says on the web site. Top Tier Gas is an industry standard that has to do with detergent content, not octane.

Steve

Well interesting. Where I live every drop of gasoline comes from the same refinery. All of it. I can assure you that they don't flip a switch to make top tier and switch back. Whatever brand you buy in Tucson ,it all comes from the same refinery in El Paso. If there is a difference it occurs as the truck is loaded at the pipeline terminal. Octane rating, for instance, is determined by how much alcohol is added. So much for any significant difference.

haaa.

again... i call bull honkey....the fuel comes through the same pipes.

the one in my back yard, and not just at the same rate. one day , they'll
run regular.mid grade premium..to the massive storage tanks here , and huge
transfer trucks . it is a retarded mistake to think so.

there's ONE pipeline in my yard, not three, labeled 87,89,92 octane , plus diesel and kerosene.3

get outta' my stinkin' house

Well interesting. Where I live every drop of gasoline comes from the same refinery. All of it. I can assure you that they don't flip a switch to make top tier and switch back. Whatever brand you buy in Tucson ,it all comes from the same refinery in El Paso. If there is a difference it occurs as the truck is loaded at the pipeline terminal. Octane rating, for instance, is determined by how much alcohol is added. So much for any significant difference.

Same gasoline stock, just a matter of what additive pack they toss in the tanker at the rack, before it dumps it at the station, and whether it has been tested ($$) to the Top Tier standard. If it’s not Top Tier branded may be fine anyway, e.g. it’s capable of passing the tests, or it may not quite.

To the OP,
These folks have a fairly good web site and you can glean alot of info on lubricants from them.
Petroleum Service Company | The Pioneer of Online Petroleum Sales
Dian Sir,
I don't think 'turbine' is a translation issue. It's term that is used to describe oils that separate from water rapidly. Think of a steam turbine and it's lubrication needs and the need to get the water out of the oil before it is reused in the system. Detergent oils tend to collect and hold water ( til it is cooked out or strained out, think internal combustion engine) where as turbine oils separate from water almost immediately.
Hope that helps
Stay safe
Calvin B
PS the the OP.. Nice machine BTW

that is an interesting aspect and a good link. i still assume the requirements for a lathe gear box are different from a jet engine. but the water separation factor is new for me. do you think it would be usefull to look at the astm d1401 demulsibility rating for a gear box? the problem being, that its probably not puplished for hydraulic oils. could you explain what a rating of "40/40/0-10" means and how it would compare to "regular" hydraulic oils, that usually have a certain level of detegent and dispersant additives?

also: what kind of classificaton is "pl/dr/bds/bcc ?

thanks

edit: maybe original instructions were simply not to use hlp-d hydraulic oil (containing detergent and dispersant additives, din 51524) and it got "translated" into turbine oil. well, maybe at that time there was no din 51524 (:.

Last edited:

Back