Turbine oil no. 90 ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dian , Sir
    I think it may not as much be a translation issue as a 'term lost to time'. I think it may just be that when the gear box was spec'd it called for 10 wt non-detergent oil. As to why it was called 'turbine' oil may be lost to time.. It may mean an oil that separates from water or it may have been the oil producer wanted a fancy 'new' term to sell their product and they named the product 'turbine' so as to be hip and up to date. One never knows what lurks in a marketer's head...
    I sorry but I am at a loss to explain most of your question.. I do know times have changed since the above lathe was produced and along with the passage of time so have the names and functions of various lubricants and their purpose.
    I have had some experience with the 'ashless dispersant' aviation oils and they are just the first iteration of what we would call 'detergent' oils. ( my experience comes from working on a B-17G )
    I think you are correct in assuming that the current specifications for hydraulic oils did not even exists when the gear box oil for the lathe was made..
    Hope this helps
    Stay safe
    Calvin B

2. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will turn 71 in October and I learned to put Vactra 2 from My Dad who was a famous rebuilder and used it for years too.. We put it in our lathes and customers (who paid us to rebuild their machines) lathes where we guaranteed our work for a YEAR. We put it in the headstocks, aprons, way lube systems. I have used Vactra 2 in Headstocks for over 50 years and have NEVER has an issue. The way oil sticks to the gears and bearing after it stops, so when you haven't used your machine for a week, the spindle has oil in it when it starts. This is my preference and you can take it or leave it.

4. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The application where oil standards come to the fore is in screw compressors.....use the best R&O oil,or spend much time dislodging oxidation product (called shellac in the industry) from the oil coolers and heat exchangers ....its is brown /yellow flakes just like shellac ,but not soluble in alcohol like shellac......in fact only nasty organic chemicals will partially dissolve the residue,and make it soft enough to flush out.

6. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    I will turn 71 in October and I learned to put Vactra 2 from My Dad who was a famous rebuilder and used it for years too.. We put it in our lathes and customers (who paid us to rebuild their machines) lathes where we guaranteed our work for a YEAR. We put it in the headstocks, aprons, way lube systems. I have used Vactra 2 in Headstocks for over 50 years and have NEVER has an issue. The way oil sticks to the gears and bearing after it stops, so when you haven't used your machine for a week, the spindle has oil in it when it starts. This is my preference and you can take it or leave it.
    you are aware that mobil changed the 11 herbs and spices in vactra 2...
    over 10 years ago.... not the same stuff... made to separate easier from
    water-based coolants in cnc machinery. not the sticky oil it used to be.

i use Vistac.

next 5 gal pail will be Sunoco way lube . about 1/3 the price of mobil.

haas now rec'ds MObil 1 motor oil in everything ? gearbox, HRT rotary ?
    huh... mobil must have some serious weight when it comes to marketing
    among machinery vendors.
    Last edited by tnmgcarbide; 05-12-2021 at 10:58 AM.

8. Likes ezduzit liked this post