Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I haven't tried it on SS but on cr steel I use a 1/2 square HSS . Turn the cutting edge 30 to 40 degrees and go almost full cut , slow spindle speed and very slow feed rate. If the cutting tip is in solid stock it doesn't pound. Leave just enough to finish to size.
    That has a lot of merit.

It is one of the things Tantung-G is very good at.

But so, too ordinary Carbide.

Joe P. used a full width cut (in round, but also stainless) to demonstrate just how SKINNY and LONG the "end plunge" turning technique could command.

Extended Small Diameter Turning -- No Problem - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

termite you have never made a single part on any machine! You are in a panic over the racist post you made with your forum ID Monarchist, that you were banned for.
    I think you are going to loose some sleep tonight, Grand Cyclops of the PM forum!

And a little more from a working pro!
    termite, it now makes sense your personal attacks on me! You are a stupid fool, dont you fucking know racist like you, and your stupid helpers are public enemy No1, in this woke era?
    You and your cub scout Webelo clowns, are a racist enclave! With you being the leader claiming to be law enforcement, and your junior cyclops being a supposed cop and forum moderator, that tried to intimidate me with homophobic shit!
    This cant be made up! If you jerks didnt have this, what, you become, a racist lawn mower theft ring?
    termite I dont know your name, or ever want to, but you and your racist helpers best make a quick exit, or you sink this forum!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuck dude. You’re chasing him around this forum like some kind of jilted lover.
    Get a life. No wonder people are leaving.

4. Likes dalmatiangirl61, digger doug, GregSY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    Fuck dude. You’re chasing him around this forum like some kind of jilted lover.
    Get a life. No wonder people are leaving.
    I think Donie is vying for first place in the nutjob category, he is jealous of termite holding the title for so long, or maybe its just too much cheap wine and wild turkey, hard to tell.

6. Likes GregSY liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

If you pre-turned a short section, a box tool with rollers set on the round portion (back of the cutting tool) could then be employed, you could make good time on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I gotta say...Donie sure seems like he has some kinda unhealthy attraction to Thermite. I'm sure sick of seeing it. Here's the thing, Donie - no matter how much you like someone, no matter how much you lie awake at night having tortured thoughts about them, no matter how much you just know they are THE one for you....if they don't like you back that way, it's not gonna happen.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    I think Donie is vying for first place in the nutjob category, he is jealous of termite holding the title for so long, or maybe its just too much cheap wine and wild turkey, hard to tell.
    Funny, I've never seen Thermite ever use the race card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, back to the thread:

When turning square stock, I have often been successful by wacking off the corners in one pass (tip of the cutter beyond the flats in the stock). Slow the speeds and feeds down to a crawl and rip off the corners using a zero to slightly positive rake tool. with 0 to 10 degrees flank angle. You should get a continuous ribbon chip that is not blue.

Once the corners are gone then resume normal speeds and feeds (perhaps with a different cutter). The interrupted cut is what kills the process. Get past that and your home free. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turing square to round is brutal. It is like turning splines but much worse.
    You are going to take a hell of a beating but you want to cut and hold size when that beating is done.
    Positive tooling will not take the beating, huge neg rake not so happy on size control if the end small passes.
    Do you have a tooling type sales or application guy of deep experience that likes you?
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

*yawn*

Lathe tool has an easier life if you first forge, rough saw, or mill the ends to an Octogon. At least.

Just sayin'