What's new
What's new

Twelve 55 ton bottle jacks to lift bridge

A sad day in indeed as the infamous 11'8" bridge becomes the 12'4" bridge.YouTube

I've occasionally viewed that channel, but really don't get much joy from seeing trucks get can-opened. It's more amusement at clueless truck renters, I guess. Being from the Boston area we've got a famous bridge on Storrow Drive that's usually good for a couple trucks every September moving season. Please Don'''t Drive Your Moving Truck On Storrow Drive | WBUR News

It's really well past time that the 3,556mm bridge was raised or the road lowered.

What's so sad about it? Why, raising a bridge is just about the saddest thing there is, right up there with people who don't let their dogs sleep in bed with them and the fall of the Wobblies.

wouldn't it have been easier to lower the road? :scratchchin:

There's a maximum grade that the trains can climb, they needed to keep the change of height to a minimum.

And yes, my understanding is that there's a lot of utilities/sewers near the road surface, which is already a low point in the roadway as it goes under the bridge. So dropping the roadway further would be even more problematic.

If you haven't watched the video in #1 yet, there's some neat rail equipment for raising rail and ties to re-level them, starting at 4:45. Some of the machine's movements are almost insect-like.

[Try to ignore the music...]

Back