Two keys on same connection? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Oh ! Since you brought it up ... don't know if this would work for you but they put lobes on large engine camshafts this way, and I once did a gear with a very large bore that worked like this --

Make it a shrink fit, but you put a groove in the center of the bore all the way around. Then you drill into that groove from the face. To install, the shaft has to have an area that is slightly undersize, the length of your bore. You slide onto this area, then pump in hydraulic fluid at a few thousand psi. The part then expands a touch so you can slide it the rest of the way onto the shaft where you want it. Remove the oil pressure and viola, a shrink fit that's easy to remove.
    Who's "Viola"?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    Who's "Viola"?
    VO, I la.

Immigrant bed-warmer for-hire to SeaMoose's DPRK bosom-buddy, "Fei Jei ", perhaps?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    If the joint needs to come apart, use a ring-fitter, if the joint stays as one piece use a shrink fit and 2 keys. It is done all the time to have 2 keys share the load. The down side of a ring setter is, 1 not easy to make the hub run true with out run out, 2 can not be placed over keys that were in the old shaft,3 needs to be retorked, 4 ring setters need a real heavy wall and should be used in a high strength alloy steel.5 you need room to get the tools in to tighten the bolts . In the machinery I worked on (pulp-mill) we would use 2 ring-setter one on each side of the hub, and spent time to dial the hubs in. With a 7 inch shaft I would guess cost is not a object. If the project is life threatening if it fails, the standard has been shrink fits and keys...Phil
    1. Very low rotational speed, so run out is not important in this application. +/- 1/8" and nobody will care.
    2. Latest design cannot be retrofit to existing equipment anyway, so all new shafts.
    3. Re torquing is a small price for other reductions in maintenance and downtime offered by updated design.
    4. Can do heavy wall alloy steel.
    5. Have good access for torquing bolts. Don't have running clearance for longer shafts.
    Most customers prefer hubs are replaceable in situ, without removing shafts from machine. Interference fit doesn't satisfy.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awander View Post
    Who's "Viola"?
    Somebody's little sister ...

Pact with the Devil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well that's what R&D is for, build one with a X4 safety factor or as big of hub wall that will fit and go out and try to brake it. You could also get help from skf or nsk,or others that build the ring setters, Machine work for one is straight forward, a cave man could do it....Phil....ps I will add if it fails it will ruin the shaft, less surface area there...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

B Loc is the brand we had and is similar to Ring fedder.

Oddly the web site I found doesn't go over 4" dia shaft
    Keyless Bushings: Browse All Sizes | B-LOC | Fenner Drives

Dave