What's new
What's new

Two Leeson motors

TonyS

Plastic
I'm considering two 5hp motors for use on a log splitter with a 13gpm pump. Leeson #131641 is a close coupled motor with a 7/8" shaft. Leeson #131616 is heavier, has a 1 1/8" shaft, and is more expensive. Will the 131641 will work just as well driving the 13gpm pump on the log splitter? Or is there is some performance advantage to the 131616 and if so is it significant enough to warrant the extra expense for this application?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

I have included a handy link that allows you to spec motor size to your application. I believe you can even convert electric motor size to equivelent gas engine size. Surplus Center

At a glance, your 5hp electric motor looks to be quite a bit undersized for a 13gpm pump..but I'm not sure.

Stuart

Specs, of course, sorry. Click the Specs tab above the table in the following links:

131641.00 LEESON 5HP MOTOR C184K34DK3 B
131616.00 LEESON 5HP MOTOR C184K34DB3 B

Regarding the sizing, I've researched this as carefully as I can on surpluscenter.com and it looks like their MTE 9-12446 pump is a good fit for the motor. Using the calculators, I conclude the motor can drive that pump at the full high volume (13gpm) up to the unload (switchover) pressure of 500psi without exceeding 4.2hp, then at low volume (2.91gpm) up to 2650psi without exceeding 5hp. Took me awhile to get the hang of the calculators, hope I'm using them right.

Tony,

The first motor you have listed has a special shaft for close coupled pumps..that would be a pain to deal with. The second motor (131616) has a larger shaft but it's a conventional size and couplings wouldn't be a problem to find.

I don't know the specifics of your use, but for me..a TEFC motor would be a better choice in a potentially dirty. The 131616 is a ODP unit.

Stuart

Other than the shaft and the motor type, though, it's an honest 5hp continuous duty motor, correct? More or less equivalent to the other one in terms of its ability to perform in this application? That's really my question. It's like, as a beginner you have to learn that a compressor duty "SPECIAL" motor labeled 5hp but drawing only 15 amps is significantly different from one of these two motors. Okay, I'm past that--the 15 amp motor would burn up pushing my 13gpm pump. By my current understanding either of these two motors could handle the pump--but is there a further distinction I'm missing? Just trying to learn.

Yes, of course, the TEFC motor would be better. The cost gets out of hand, though, and I can make do with the ODP which by itself will be nearly half the cost of my one or two cord a year vanity project. Sadly, here I am in LA and I have still after all these years not found a good used motor source.

You are short in the HP Dept. if the pump is rated 13gpm, What rpm is that, Important because volume is directly depended on speed. You need 1 hp to pump 1 GPM, at 1000psi.

So a pump rated 13gpm at 1800rpm, and 2000psi, needs about 25hp, but if the 13 gpm is rated at 3600 rpm, but run at 1800, you now have 6.5gpm at 2000psi so 13hp would do the job. Pressure on a positive displacement pump, is controlled by load, and relief valve setting. I use 2000 psi as its a common setting for tractor type hydraulic systems. Be sure the cylinders, hoses, valves are designed for the pressures you are using.

Edit: I see you have a 2 stage pump, If the rpms of the pump match the motor rating, it would be balanced..

Yes, standard 3600rpm two stage log splitter pump. MTE 9-12446, sold by surpluscenter.com which has all sorts of log splitter hydraulics plus those great little calculators.

> If the rpms of the pump match the motor rating, it would be balanced.<
I'll take that as a yes! :)

I could be overthinking it, but a good deal of thinking was necessary to avoid buying a pig in a poke. Lots of opportunities to go astray on a new project--if I knew all about it it wouldn't be much of a new project. Retired, gotta stay engaged, you know.

Tony,

The Leeson 131616 motor appears to be a 'real' capacitor start, capacitor run motor capable of what you want...IMHO.

Stuart

What's that mean...jump in with both feet, zero research and fall flat on your face. What task with a successful outcome required no thinking?

Stuart
No... And the lord knows I love the numbers and math.
In my world you give a one million cycle warranty with the machine or assembly line you supply.
Any failure inside this you eat along with lost production time at the plant that sits down at a very large dollar per minute.
You basically pay 300-5000 people to sit on their ass at union wage and the overheard cost.

This is so way different.
The OP has good numbers on what he needs but has gone down too far to the point where you have to simply dope slap your engineers.
I respect his engineering, don't think he should get so deep or worried.
Bob

A TEFC motor will be bigger, more expensive, and heavier to a identical rated ODP. The TEFC has a harder time time getting heat out of the windings since there is no real airflow inside. The air inside is circulated around but no cool air is added.
Also TEFC does not mean waterproof. rain will leak into conduit holes, into capacitor housings and down screwholes even with a screw in. Make a rain cover.

Atomarc, glad to hear it, thanks.

LOL! CarbideBob, I plead guilty!

Bill D, my thought exactly, reasonably protect the ODP motor. I have a Leeson 120554 (145T ODP, half the weight of the ones we're talking about and service factor 1.0 instead of 1.15) that has powered my several versions of woodworking cyclone dust collector for 15 years. Has a thin coat of fine sawdust on it but it couldn't care less. I changed the bearings four years ago just because I happened to have it out and on the floor, and cleaned the windings then. It sits vertical, too, but apparently the rotor weight of the smaller motors doesn't bother the bearings either.

If I were sure the quickly shifting loads on a log splitter wouldn't routinely overload it I would just use another one of those. It's not that I hate being wrong THAT much, I would just hate blowing $300.

Back