What's new
What's new

U.S. flag cover?

swellwelder

Stainless
I would like to put a US flag on my bridge crane, but knowing how much dust and dirt gets airborne, would quickly cover the flag in dirt. Which I sure do not want to do! So, is there such a thing as a clear cover to place the flag in before displaying it?

Dale

I would like to put a US flag on my bridge crane, but knowing how much dust and dirt gets airborne, would quickly cover the flag in dirt. Which I sure do not want to do! So, is there such a thing as a clear cover to place the flag in before displaying it?

Dale

US flags may be 'cased', yes. ISTR even a 1950's "Boy Scout Handbook" explained the rules for that.

Bound to be something online, even if one has to ask it of "Third Herd", where knowing all about such lore is part of their "Day Job";

3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) - Wikipedia

That said, if easy cleanup is wanted - and/or, as importantly - 24 X 7 display, not just daylight hours, given Reveille and Retreat ceremonies could come to be a nuisance for a bridge crane - why not a 'solid' plaque, and/or as a shield, rather than flag?

Make a plexiglass box slightly larger in height and width then for depth make top substantial wider than bottom so it is inverted triangle thus no place for dust to settle.

Wax with anti- static wax and you should be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

- why not a 'solid' plaque, and/or as a shield, rather than flag?

That was my thought, .while it is not ''the real thing'' and I agree, NOTHING can replace a proper flag of ones country, I was thinking something like a vinyl wrapped (as in the stuff used on vans and trucks) sheet of say ply hanging under your crane.

That vinyl is as tough as can be. is not damaged by ultra violet and I believe can be had with some sort of ''stay clean'' coating.

You might also consider, if you permanently mount it to your bridge crane. It should have permanent lighting. No one likes a flag in the dark.

Regards Phil.

You might also consider, if you permanently mount it to your bridge crane. It should have permanent lighting. No one likes a flag in the dark.

Regards Phil.

Even better, make the flag like a light box or illuminated sign, call it security lighting - and make it 100% tax deductible.

Just a thought, but given how common it is, you might ask the advise of one of the major companies that make and sell them, like http://www.annin.com/contactus.asp as they might be aware of some 'best product for the application' norms for cranes.

If you find a shop selling USA flags made in the USA and take pride in it, they are typically VERY knowledgeable about this sort of thing, and very helpful.

If you buy a flag they can charge no sales tax on the flag in the USA. I think they tax the pole and any case you may buy. Why not just paint a flag on the crane? I suppose mam real flag is good s it shows winds during he lift.
maybe a sheet of tin, plexiglass or plywood painted to be a flag?
Bill D

No offense intended, but what is it with USA'ans and needing to have their flag everywhere? Is it because you all salute it every day at school or something?

Growing up there was a flag in every school room. The day started with the pledge of allegiance. " I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, .........

When you grow up like that it gets in your blood.

CarlBoyd

No offense intended, but what is it with USA'ans and needing to have their flag everywhere? Is it because you all salute it every day at school or something?

They were allowed to be patriotic Mark, .......unlike us - who until a few years ago were only allowed to fly the flag on certain days, ......along with at least 2 decades of softy feely governments - especially the Blair and brown years, pronouncing anyone who flew the flag and a nasty little right wing nationalist etc etc.etc.

My youngest son is in training in the ARMY and is starting Ranger training after paratrooper school in a few weeks. I am embarrassed to admit I don't have a flag outside my shop. I will fix that this weekend. I am very proud of him. He expects to be deployed to a war zone. May God keep him safe.

I wish he would stop at paratrooper since I can't remember the last time we used paratroopers.

If he doesn't pass Ranger school and 60% plus don't, he will be ARMY infantry. I can't think of a more dangerous job.

To those of you who fly the flag outside your business, I thank you.

Dan

seriously?

It took the wife a decade to get me to bother to hang the flag, but it's just a flag, there is nothing odd about wanting to hang a flag, any more than hanging a picture of the queen

On topic, I would consider an exterior synthetic flag and replacing it every few years when it gets dirty

might be cheaper

I usually see them hanging straight down on a bridge crane.

they don't seem to get dirty, I figure
If you move it enough, the dirt will be shook off.

I'm not sure why the bridge crane is the chosen place to hang a flag. It seems like it would somehow impede visibility? I actually can't think of any "practical" disadvantage to hanging the flag there, just that it would seem an "unusual" place to see a flag hanging.

One thing to think about though. The American flag is supposed to be displayed so that the field of stars are always seen top-left. When viewed from the opposite side of the crane, the field of stars would be seen top-right. Just something to think about.

My personal favorite, is when the flag is hung stripes-down on a wall, and with lighting from underneath.

God Bless the USA...

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The top of my flag will be at the top of the main beams and will hang horizontal, so it would be visible from one side only, so no concerns with with the stars being in the wrong orientation. My plan will be to use clear plastic and cover noth sides. If that doesn't look right, will go with plexiglass and make a box for the flag.

Dale

Back