Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The top, left thing is for displays where only one side is visible. When the flag is on a flag pole, there is no avoiding having both sides visible and one will be top left while the other is top right.

When hung on a horizontal member, the stars should be toward the head or end of that member or of the overall machine, if there is such an end. Or in a manner where they would be more likely to be viewed as on the left. A bridge crane is likely not to have any such distinction so it could go either way.

Of course, an upside down US flag is a distress signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    I'm not sure why the bridge crane is the chosen place to hang a flag. It seems like it would somehow impede visibility? I actually can't think of any "practical" disadvantage to hanging the flag there, just that it would seem an "unusual" place to see a flag hanging.

One thing to think about though. The American flag is supposed to be displayed so that the field of stars are always seen top-left. When viewed from the opposite side of the crane, the field of stars would be seen top-right. Just something to think about.

My personal favorite, is when the flag is hung stripes-down on a wall, and with lighting from underneath.

God Bless the USA...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't whatever you cover the flag in going to get dirty like the flag would uncovered?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    Isn't whatever you cover the flag in going to get dirty like the flag would uncovered?
    Plastic cover isn't going to collect as much dirt as a cloth flag. The plastic will collect dust and grime, just less maintenance required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Plastic cover isn't going to collect as much dirt as a cloth flag. The plastic will collect dust and grime, just less maintenance required.
    Was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Dale

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No offense taken, but it's called 'pride' . I honestly wish for England to regain that pride. My favorite machine tools are the ones that say 'Made in England'.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Rhode Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about sandwiching it between two sheets of plexiglass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I think patriotism and love of country is more than a habit. It might be a Constitution that has created a country that has provided a good life for immigrants from all over the World, opportunities to innovate or be successful that few other countries can match.A country that bailed out our British freinds in two World Wars. Our flag represents that. and I am proud to see it fly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Likes digger doug, steve45 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We hung our flag from one of the ceiling beams in the main aisle of our new building. The "what if it gets dirty" concern came up. My thought though (Boy Scout years showing) was that if I'm putting the flag up, it becomes a responsibility to care for it. Periodically it will need to come down and be cleaned. I'd rather not forget about it.

I like the idea of hanging it from a moving crane. Images of it fluttering along as work progresses below are nice to see, but stiffening it with clear plastic would detract from that image IMO.

As far as why there are so many in 'Merica? For me it's less about respecting the country and more about respecting what the country has done and is trying to do. I've seen a lot of the same pride with our neighbors in Mexico too. People like having an icon of what they have accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Techguy View Post
    I wish he would stop at paratrooper since I can't remember the last time we used paratroopers.

If he doesn't pass Ranger school and 60% plus don't, he will be ARMY infantry. I can't think of a more dangerous job.
    Dan -
    If I am reading correctly, your son will be infantry no matter what. It is true we have done almost no combat airborne insertions in quite a while. But the 82d Airborne Division has had plenty of tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are no different than other light infantry outfits - such as 10th Mountain Division - except they also jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

Ranger school is extremely demanding - but the skills one gets there can be priceless. The units that make up the 75th Ranger Regiment are the most specialized light infantry we have - and highly trained.

I am not a graduate of either of the 'finishing' schools mentioned, but have many friends who are. In my experience the more training and maturity a young soldier gets the better they are able to take care of themselves and their battle buddies. But that's just my opinion, from an old guy who spent a lot of years soldiering.

Thank you for supporting your son - and pass along my thanks to him for choosing to serve. Many of us appreciate his - and all others who do likewise - dedication. Best of luck to him in his service.

Dale