What's new
What's new

U.S. made fasteners...

Paul Cataldo

Stainless
I have been on a look for a source for quality U.S. made fasteners. Not only that, but a source that will sell small quantities of everything.
Not only that, but I would like for said source to have a vast supply of all sorts of fasteners.
It seems that the few source I have found, either sell in large qty only, OR they don't have any fasteners I need.
I am mainly talking about standard SHCS's, hex head fasteners/bolts, but many times I need all sorts of other fasteners in small qty.
Do the rest of you guys on this forum cringe every time you use an import fastener, but you go ahead and do it most of the time, because it's what's readily/easily available at your local hardware store?
Or do a lot of you refuse to use import fasteners.
I'm not referring to projects that simply MUST use U.S. made, but rather, I'm mainly referring to projects that could use either.
I restore a lot of machinery, and I've been struggling with whether or not I should pursue U.S. made fasteners for every last piece on the machine.
I wouldn't even think twice about it, and I'd go U.S. ONLY, IF I had a couple of go-to sources that usually had what I need in stock, and didn't charge me a killing for shipping, or for mandatory quantity ordering.
What do the rest of you guys do for everyday fastener needs? Pursue U.S. made, or just go to your local ACE hdwre and pick up import?

As for now, I have been getting a few things from Mcmaster and MSC, but even that is a lot for shipping, or requires an hour long drive to go pick them up.
I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Caterpillar hardware

I do not know where Caterpillar bolts and hardware are made now, but that is all I have used on the 2 track endloaders I have. One of them I rebuilt the undercarriage and have about 2,000 hours on it since then, with no broken bolts.

Here is a link to Caterpillar hardware, which can be obtained from a Cat dealer. You can buy 1 or 100, it doesn't make any difference, but they are expensive. They have CAT stamped on the head of the hex bolt heads.

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/87031/7/13_OSS_Hardware.pdf

I buy most of my fasteners from McMaster, so the brand is unknown when I order. Most of the time, however, socket head screws have been Holo-Krome, and hex head screws have been Lake Erie. I have gotten some imported stuff (all hex head or nuts), but it has been marked Taiwan, not China.

Last edited:
Here is a link to Caterpillar hardware, which can be obtained from a Cat dealer. You can buy 1 or 100, it doesn't make any difference, but they are expensive. They have CAT stamped on the head of the hex bolt heads.

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/87031/7/13_OSS_Hardware.pdf

The heads are a bit thicker than normal and the underside of the heads have a smooth, washer like surface (for lack of the real name :) ) cut into them.

Andy

Here is a link that was posted over in the Tools For Sale section of PM the other day for cheap fasteners and small quantities. Don't know if they are imported or not.

Amazon.com: Screws, Free Super Saver Shipping, Metals & Alloys, Steel Machine Screws

Here's an example that was listed.

2 "Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, 3/8"-16, 1" Length (Pack of 25)"
Unknown Binding; $0.61

2 "Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, 3/8"-16, 1-1/2" Length (Pack of 25)"
Unknown Binding; $0.85

2 "Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, #8-32, 1" Length (Pack of 100)"
Unknown Binding; $0.99

2 "Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, #10-32, 1" Length (Pack of 100)"
Unknown Binding; $0.77

1 "Stainless Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, 1/4"-20, 1/2" Length (Pack of 100)"
Unknown Binding; $3.70

1 "Zinc Plated Steel Hex Nut, 3/8"-16 (Pack of 100)"
Unknown Binding; $4.83

4 "Grade 2 Zinc Plated Steel Hex Bolt, 1/2"-13, 2-1/4" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $0.40

2 "Grade 2 Zinc Plated Steel Hex Bolt, 3/8"-16, 4" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $0.49

2 "Grade 9 Yellow Chromate Alloy Steel Hex Bolt, 1/2"-13, 2-1/4" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $0.92

2 "Grade 9 Yellow Chromate Alloy Steel Hex Bolt, 3/8"-16, 6" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $2.06

2 "Grade 9 Yellow Chromate Alloy Steel Hex Bolt, 1/2"-13, 4" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $1.64

1 "Grade 9 Yellow Chromate Alloy Steel Hex Bolt, 3/8"-16, 2-1/2" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $1.40

2 "Zinc Plated Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, 1/4"-20, 1-1/2" Length (Pack of 10)"
Unknown Binding; $0.66

Do the rest of you guys on this forum cringe every time you use an import fastener, but you go ahead and do it most of the time, because it's what's readily/easily available at your local hardware store?
I'm not referring to projects that simply MUST use U.S. made, but rather, I'm mainly referring to projects that could use either.

Yes.

When I buy onezey twozeys at TSC or Menards they are the same brand, made in China :( But they seem OK. I wouldn't replace my wife's car's cylinder head bolt with them, but not had any problems. They work in tool holders without rounding out. The fasteners purchased in assortment packs are not as good, but not total crap either. They are OK for not heavy torque areas. Most of the really crappy screws I've come across have been part of a crappy product. Sometimes, an otherwise good product. I'm glad to have the links you guys posted... bookmarked!:cheers:

yes, and to a goodly extent, yes.....

US made is no guarantee in many things. US made is often worse crap than chinese, because the US company cut so many corners trying to "compete"......

But fasteners have pretty well "shaken out", by now. Whoever is left is left because they still make a good product (assuming they can still get decent steel).

I have had standard, and even supposedly "grade 8" import fasteners, simply twist off at the head, or twist off where the end of the threads is....

There is NO WAY I should be able to twist off the head of a new 5/15" cap screw using a regular shortish length open/box wrench, certainly not without some serious marks on my hand where the wrench was. But I have done it, and I am not a "bodybuilder"/weightlifter....

I am about done with import crap..... life is too short to deal with crap that makes huge extra time losses to extract the broken bits and pieces......

Here is a link that was posted over in the Tools For Sale section of PM the other day for cheap fasteners and small quantities. Don't know if they are imported or not.

Amazon.com: Screws, Free Super Saver Shipping, Metals & Alloys, Steel Machine Screws

Here's an example that was listed.

2 "Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, 3/8"-16, 1" Length (Pack of 25)"
Unknown Binding; $0.61

2 "Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, 3/8"-16, 1-1/2" Length (Pack of 25)"
Unknown Binding; $0.85

2 "Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, #8-32, 1" Length (Pack of 100)"
Unknown Binding; $0.99

2 "Alloy Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, #10-32, 1" Length (Pack of 100)"
Unknown Binding; $0.77

1 "Stainless Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, 1/4"-20, 1/2" Length (Pack of 100)"
Unknown Binding; $3.70

1 "Zinc Plated Steel Hex Nut, 3/8"-16 (Pack of 100)"
Unknown Binding; $4.83

4 "Grade 2 Zinc Plated Steel Hex Bolt, 1/2"-13, 2-1/4" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $0.40

2 "Grade 2 Zinc Plated Steel Hex Bolt, 3/8"-16, 4" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $0.49

2 "Grade 9 Yellow Chromate Alloy Steel Hex Bolt, 1/2"-13, 2-1/4" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $0.92

2 "Grade 9 Yellow Chromate Alloy Steel Hex Bolt, 3/8"-16, 6" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $2.06

2 "Grade 9 Yellow Chromate Alloy Steel Hex Bolt, 1/2"-13, 4" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $1.64

1 "Grade 9 Yellow Chromate Alloy Steel Hex Bolt, 3/8"-16, 2-1/2" Length (Pack of 5)"
Unknown Binding; $1.40

2 "Zinc Plated Steel Socket Cap Screw, Flat Head, Hex Socket Drive, 1/4"-20, 1-1/2" Length (Pack of 10)"
Unknown Binding; $0.66

I remember looking into this thread, and IIRC, they were imports. Thanks for your offer to help though Snartl.

I use import fasteners for non-essential repairs and farm equipment. Holo-Krome or certified (and made in usa) aircraft hardware for everything else.

try Kenneth Lilly Fasteners in Shelby NC, if it is a bolt they stock it, specify you want US made, usually a standard package is about the same price as a dozen at the hardware store, locally owned company that supplies many/most industrial customers in the southeast

We still have an independant,industrial fastener joint here.Walk in,slap a list on counter,shoot the chit,leave.Drills,reamers,taps/die sort of place.BW

This is an old thread but I'm wondering if the quality of any of the fastener manufacturers has gone down hill? I've heard stories (here at the new job) that several instances of failed SHCS were due to the quality or lack of it. Supposedly, HK had been re-boxing and I don't know whether to believe this or not. HK had always been a good quality fastener but things have changed since this was last true and I've come to question the basic things I never had to wonder about. Kinda sux to have to spend part of your day questioning basic things like fastener integrity but I guess everybody wins in a global economy. The "incidents" of fastener failure may be for another reason but I'd like to get some field feedback before making an assumption. Thank you.

Back