What's new
What's new

UK members - Your opinion of these SK40 tool holders and the supplier ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Bottom line is I need DIN2080 SK40 tool holders with M16 drawbar threads*, which seem to be non existent in the US. The below fit the bill but the prices are so low I wonder if the quality is crap. Thoughts ?

DIN 2080-40 Collet Chuck for ER32 Collets 70mm Gauge Length Associated Production Tools

As an aside, just for the heck of it I chose some holders, placed them in my "basket" and then find out they will not ship to the USA...and yet will ship to Canada. Regardless I hope they would ship to here if I took care of that aspect via Parcel2Go (which I've used numerous times for Myford grinder parts)

-------------------

*FWIW, BT40 will not do...gotta have the extended neck.

Not UK member but: APT has around here reputation for reasonably priced & usable quality for hobby*/small shop use.

*digger doug should arrive any minute to tell you about the discussion guidelines :D

Cutwel toolholders are a reasonable budget option. I have a lot of SK50 holders from them. I have had some bad ones, quality control isn't great. I have had enough bad ER collets from Cutwel that we no longer buy collets from them.

If I was buying internationally, I would probably avoid Cutwel and go for a more premium brand, purely to avoid returning bad ones.

Sandvik and Iscar both do DIN holders and you should be able to get those domestically, surely?

BTW, DIN2080 and SK are not the same. SK are basically the metric equivalent of CAT.

*FWIW, BT40 will not do...gotta have the extended neck.

If that's the only difference, I personally would get ahold of Maritool and ask if they could do you a set as my first choice. How many do you need? And are they worth enough to you to do a custom order?

All I can say is I've used Cutwels for <> 8 years and never had cause for complaint.

yep, ive got >100 holders from cutwel and never had a problem. did have a problem with a few collets but they replaced them with new and told me to keep the old ones!

Email from APT this morning -Very sorry but the cost of commercial insurance for us to be covered in the USA is more than any profit we can make so we decided not to service your market.

This even with me offering to deal with the shipping such that all they had to do is put them in a box.

:(

Email from APT this morning -Very sorry but the cost of commercial insurance for us to be covered in the USA is more than any profit we can make so we decided not to service your market.

This even with me offering to deal with the shipping such that all they had to do is put them in a box.

:(
So have Limy purchase them, put them in a box marked "used tooling" (he did touch each and every one)
and mail them off to you.

So have Limy purchase them, put them in a box marked "used tooling" (he did touch each and every one)

Minor snag with that plan, for reasons that I won't go in to, I will have nothing to do with APT, ………..as in not even urinate on them if they were on fire.

Minor snag with that plan, for reasons that I won't go in to, I will have nothing to do with APT, ………..as in not even urinate on them if they were on fire.

So, Cousin Camscan or Barbter will fill in for you, if you don't want to make a quick 10%.....:skep:

Hopefully Cutwel will ship here but if not hopefully I could still place the order and pay for them myself but have them shipped to a UK address, then direct Parcel2Go to pick up the box. All anyone would have to do is receive the box, remove the ship labels from the outside and hand it over to the Parcel2Go person who arrives at their location.

I guess one kink in that plan is I would have to pay the VAT wouldn't I ?

Hopefully Cutwel will ship here but if not hopefully I could still place the order and pay for them myself but have them shipped to a UK address, then direct Parcel2Go to pick up the box. All anyone would have to do is receive the box, remove the ship labels from the outside and hand it over to the Parcel2Go person who arrives at their location.

I guess one kink in that plan is I would have to pay the VAT wouldn't I ?

I thought you had qty (1) "large boat"....maybe not "Ship" but "large" ?

''I guess one kink in that plan is I would have to pay the VAT wouldn't I ?''

You would, .unless you and the supplier are prepared to go through the official export paperwork, ……….currently VAT is 20%.

Officially exporting from the UK to the USA has never been a walk in the park, and since post 9/11 and the terrorism etc etc etc laws, (not to mention the US is a none EU country) things have got a lot more difficult.

This is only my opinion, but with all the hoops that have to be jumped through and paid for, in your shoes I'd buy domestically, ………...especially as in the M/C Tool world, all you're getting at those sort of prices is at best ''half decent Chinese junk''

I do hope you're not inferring either of those two are anything to do with my family :eek:

P.S., they feel the same about me and my family.
Uh Huh....'splain this evidence....:toetap:

Attachments

• Scottish-minion_delegation.jpg
    Scottish-minion_delegation.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 41
  • minion.jpg
    minion.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 46
VAT is not chargeable on exports to USA, according to the latest info. I can find.

The 1st & 2nd lines from my post #17 ;-

''I guess one kink in that plan is I would have to pay the VAT wouldn't I ?'' ( taken from Milacrons post #15)

''You would, .unless you and the supplier are prepared to go through the official export paperwork, ……….currently VAT is 20%.''

I thought that we were getting hurt here with VAT. They upped it last year from 14% to 15% but WOW you Brits are paying 20%! That means that the average consumer that cannot claim it back it getting hit pretty hard, no wonder the damn orange juice that I bought in Scotland (Had a made in South Africa Sticker on it) was so damn pricey.

Technically I am with camscan, to my knowledge you should not have to pay the VAT but if someone purchases it for you over there they will have to.

Back