UK members - Your opinion of these SK40 tool holders and the supplier ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought that we were getting hurt here with VAT. They upped it last year from 14% to 15% but WOW you Brits are paying 20%! That means that the average consumer that cannot claim it back it getting hit pretty hard, no wonder the damn orange juice that I bought in Scotland (Had a made in South Africa Sticker on it) was so damn pricey.

Technically I am with camscan, to my knowledge you should not have to pay the VAT but if someone purchases it for you over there they will have to.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NAST555 View Post
    I thought that we were getting hurt here with VAT. They upped it last year from 14% to 15% but WOW you Brits are paying 20%! That means that the average consumer that cannot claim it back it getting hit pretty hard, no wonder the damn orange juice that I bought in Scotland (Had a made in South Africa Sticker on it) was so damn
    "that is barely a scratch"
    24% VAT in here, Denmark and Sweden 25%

3. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    You would, .unless you and the supplier are prepared to go through the official export paperwork, ……….currently VAT is 20%.

Officially exporting from the UK to the USA has never been a walk in the park
    This is only my opinion, but with all the hoops that have to be jumped through and paid for, in your shoes I'd buy domestically,
    Actually via Parcel2Go it is a walk in the park. I've ordered (new) Myford grinder parts from UK probably half a dozen times and it was easy as falling off a log each time. And usually (not always) amazingly fast... once ordered some parts (via "cheapest method") on a Thursday and they were on my doorstep Monday....that's faster than Chicago to here.

Re buying domestic, would in a heartbeat if anyone had them here. Metric drawbars on manual mills apparently rare as hen's teeth in USA.

(now counting the seconds before someone suggests changing out the drawbars so I can tell you why that would be a major PITA in this case)

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just in case:- Have you tried asking the Manhattan Supply Company? Their UK website lists Iscar DIN2080 40 ERxx collets, albeit none in stock. It's possible that the US organisation would get them with the same part number.

Rotagrip also do them, but they seem to want you to contact them for shipping anything heavy outsite the EU. Many/most of the above mentioned tool holders may well come from similar Taiwan/Poland 'import' manufacturers (Vertex, Bison, etc.). If you aren't too proud of the harry-homeshop solution, many of them are listed on fleabay with international shipping available (note UK fleabay site).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Re buying domestic, would in a heartbeat if anyone had them here. Metric drawbars on manual mills apparently rare as hen's teeth in USA.

(now counting the seconds before someone suggests changing out the drawbars so I can tell you why that would be a major PITA in this case)
    Yeah - one of my mills has a captive M16 drawbar so I get it.

What I did was buy a bunch of M16 coupling nuts and weld a short stud in one end. Stud either 5/8-11 (ok so sue me for mixing threads) or M16. Thread into the no tail type holders, now has a tail you dock to suit the length needed.

This is undoubtedly a crude hack, but it *does* work and enables you to use pretty much any type of 40 taper holder you can get your hands on.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually via Parcel2Go it is a walk in the park. I've ordered (new) Myford grinder parts from UK probably half a dozen times and it was easy as falling off a log each time. And usually (not always) amazingly fast... once ordered some parts (via "cheapest method") on a Thursday and they were on my doorstep Monday....that's faster than Chicago to here.

Here is Iscar's selection of DIN2080, on their US site.

I was partially incorrect about Sandvik, they do DIN2080, but only to interface to capto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    What I did was buy a bunch of M16 coupling nuts and weld a short stud in one end. Stud either 5/8-11 (ok so sue me for mixing threads) or M16. Thread into the no tail type holders, now has a tail you dock to suit the length needed.

I thought about doing something like that but presumed the drawbars would be a bit too long for such to work...at least not without the M16 stud engaging too few threads to be safe....but I haven't actually checked the drawbars to see...so maybe...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently Cutwel won't even sell to Europe, much less the US....damn...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently Cutwel won't even sell to Europe, much less the US....damn...
    Doubt you have to go that far. I've been using PTS since they were a pup and I wasn't yet old enough to drive a motorcar legally. They list Iscar and Ingersoll DIN 2080 goods:

Production Tool Supply(R) | Division of PTS(R) Group

As to UK? Keeping in mind I am only a few miles off Dulles Airport, Cromwell's in the UK have shipped me stuff to Virginia as fast as if it was a US source.

Here's the ER DIN 2080 subset they already publish:

Cromwell Tools - Experts in Hand Tools, Power Tools and PPE

Both are distributors, not makers, so who knows what other DIN 2080 goods they could furnish if asked.

But at UK prices? I'd email Maritool FIRST if the machine was worthy of high-grade goods.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will this work ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - DIN2080-ER : 4502003 - DIN2080 40 ER40X 55

Your price from me $117.02. No USA stock. They likely have them or something similar in Israel which is about a week and a half.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Milacron. Hi, I'm in West Columbia. I am a partner in a UK company near Braintree, Black Art Designs. Maybe we can purchase for you and ship over. Let me know how we can help.

We are also looking for a HiCell 23B II with sub spindle like the one we have in the UK to begin production in US. If you know of one or know of a 'similar' machine I would appreciate any help. Thanks, floyd 803.553.9469.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Supply Guru View Post
    Will this work ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - DIN2080-ER : 4502003 - DIN2080 40 ER40X 55

Your price from me $117.02. No USA stock. They likely have them or something similar in Israel which is about a week and a half.
    9 of these in stock in Israel. week and a half lead time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update - Via keyword search 40 and M16 I found on eBay a Chinese supplier of metric drawbar compatable SK40 to ER collet tools. Hopefully the quality will be acceptable and the slow boat won't be too slow.... will update when they come in.

Good to know Iscar is possible alternative in case the Chinese ones suck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update - Via keyword search 40 and M16 I found on eBay a Chinese supplier of metric drawbar compatable SK40 to ER collet tools. Hopefully the quality will be acceptable and the slow boat won't be too slow.... will update when they come in.

Good to know Iscar is possible alternative in case the Chinese ones suck.
    Again, SK is not the same as DIN2080

SK don't have the extended end that you said you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Again, SK is not the same as DIN2080

SK don't have the extended end that you said you need.
    The definition of SK has been discussed in the Deckel Forum here in the past. My recollection is that at least in Europe, SK is a generic term for "standard" ISO no 30, 40 or 50 taper tool holders...i.e. anything that is not CAT or BT. I use the term "SK" to give some notion that what I'm talking about is "euro/metric" tooling. The DIN number identifies the sub species.

SK simply means "steep taper" (steil kegel in German)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The definition of SK has been discussed in the Deckel Forum here in the past. My recollection is that at least in Europe, SK is a generic term for "standard" ISO no 30, 40 or 50 taper tool holders...i.e. anything that is not CAT or BT. I use the term "SK" to give some notion that what I'm talking about is "euro/metric" tooling. The DIN number identifies the sub species.

SK simply means "steep taper" (steil kegel in German)
    All my machines are DIN69871, and I buy a lot of holders. Just about anytime you see SK mentioned in a catalogue or store it's to differentiate DIN69871 from BT-MAS.

I agree that SK means what you say it means, but I can assure you that if you order anything SK from this side of the pond you will almost certainly get a ISO7388.1/DIN69871 holder, that looks like the image below. DIN2080 is what you need to explicitly specify if you order from here.