What's new
What's new

Ultrasonic cleaner

TimH

Hot Rolled
So we have spare money to spend in the shop I work at. One of the supervisors wants to buy an ultrasonic cleaner. I'm not sure if there is a use for this in a machine shop. We don't do a lot of repair work so I'm not sure there is real need for it. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I love ours. It's great for cleaning out ER collet nuts and stuff. We got ours off Ebay from Australia and just had to redo the plug since I believe it was wired for 440v.
We also use it for some blocks that we do every other month or so, they do a fantastic job of cleaning out threads and other inaccessible areas.

We don't use it often but they are nice to have.

I have run them until dead different brands.

I am very happy with the ones from the Big A

Label on both say ULTRASONIC CLEANER

and I don't have to keep taking them apart to fix them like the really expensive ones

Ultrasonic cleaners are great. Amazing actually. FYI - Unless you're doing stuff like circuit boards, the lower the frequency the better. Lower frequencies have a more robust action on heavily soiled objects. Can't recall if 20K or 40K is standard-ish at the low end. Even for just flushing parts after machining I'd still go low.

I have both high and low freq. types and like the low best. Which by now is obvious.

But... the high freq folks might have something to say about this. :-)

I run a Crest with MasterSages something or other that leaves a corrosion inhibiting film on parts. I generally don't put super dirty parts in it but when I do they tend to need a little help from a brush and elbow grease, but the ultra sonic does loosen up heavy grime.

What parts & dirt ?

Where in "upstate NY" are YÜÜ ?
Blackstone-NEY Ultrasonics | Cleaning Technologies Group LLC

Ask these people, have them demonstrate a small unit on site, with your parts.

I love my 30 gallon.

Very interesting on the link. I did not know that NEY ultrasonics was sold off in 1988. In the mid 80's up to 1986 I worked for JM Ney as a coop engineer and worked on the ultrasonic cleaners. I have one of the small ones that they made. JM Ney was a dental company and made the ultrasonic cleaners to clean dental stuff.

Back