What's new
What's new

Water Filter Housing Threads

swall

Aluminum
I dread changing my whole house water filters. Always a real bear to break the threads on the canister loose from the housing. I'm always afraid
that I am going to break something. Anyone got any ideas on lube to make these thiings easier to take apart?

Silicone grease rated for drinking water contact smeared (like just enough to make it slippery) not globed on the o ring and only tighten housing by hand like use your weakest hand and only one to tighten, its the real secret to making it easy to undo. To undo de pressurise and use the spanner. They realy don't need to be that tight to seal really well. If sealing is a issue, clean the o ring faces and use a new o ring. If you can plumb the filter such you can stand a bucket under it and have it a 1" or so out from the wall life's really easy when its time to change them :-)

Mine is overhead in my basement shop, so I have to work it from a ladder. The plastic wrench was not adequate, so I copied it in 3/4" solid core plywood. I put a handle on both sides, so I can use it to remove the canister, as well as re-torque it when I put in the fresh filter element. The handles make it much easier. Regards, Clark

I dread changing my whole house water filters. Always a real bear to break the threads on the canister loose from the housing. I'm always afraid
that I am going to break something. Anyone got any ideas on lube to make these thiings easier to take apart?

Hi, it's best if you call a professional because if you install the wrong water it might not be filtered properly.

Back