What's new
What's new

diamond turning machine - used/auction value?

specfab

Titanium
I am considering purchasing a used diamond turning machine at an auction. It's a Precitech 8" machine, about 20 yrs old,and I just wondered if anyone has any recent experience with the nominal value of similar machines. It appears to be in reasonable condition. Cannot test it as it stands.

Any input welcome.

This machine is somewhat less. Just your basic 20-yr old 2-axis turning machine, with incremental jog motion resolution to .00001 increments. The specs I pulled off of some Google info DO include "a value" of 8.6nm for the glass scales, with no further explanation of whether this is a resolution or a raw period value. I assume a period that results in a coarser resolution for the machine system. Spindle is specified as 2 u-inch radial and axial motion error.

Certainly IR optics would be an application for this, but the machine was actually employed doing finish work on some laser diode heatsinks. Beautiful finish on copper.

Certainly IR optics would be an application for this, but the machine was actually employed doing finish work on some laser diode heatsinks. Beautiful finish on copper.

I picked up a couple 24" Lapmaster-style machines for reasonably cheap to play with, they came out of a plant that was doing transmission windows for IR seekers.

If you can get that machine for reasonable money, sure, do it, but it's a questions of space, funds, and purpose. I still haven't done anything with the laps, but fortunately there's room for then.

Precitech is only around 30 miles from me, and they're also formed from the remains of Rank Taylor Hobson. I have a RTH (or TH?) circularity tester sitting in a box that I was tempted to take to them for checking out, but figured I couldn't afford repairs...

Back