Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I thought this looked like a fun project:
    YouTube

I have also thought about making my own parallel pliers, though they are not so expensive online.

A hemingway kit rotary broach is another thing I have considered.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have wanted to make a rope making/twisting machine ever since I made a rope out of baler twine in Boy Scouts. It would be a pretty simple project if you purchased the gears but it keeps getting bumped down the list.

3. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Oh dude.. Where to start...

Think of something you want.. Or your significant other wants, or your kids want...
    And then MAKE IT..

You know those 3D wooden puzzles, I've always wanted to make some out of aluminum..

Wood workers like making pens.. And furniture.. I've made aluminum coffee tables
    (pics below).

Here some ideas for you..

alternator bracket to use a chevy alternator on your Datsun Z.

Build a tractor.

Stainless toilet flusher handle.

Scrabble tiles.

A walking jack. Its a gun thing, guy wanted one that was light enough to use with a .22.

----------------

BobW - I love your stuff! I really like that tractor! What a piece of American ingenuity! I found it easier to buy a Kubota ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob,

Was it you that made that shitter handle? I remember when I first saw it. Noice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rewt View Post
    Bob,

Was it you that made that shitter handle? I remember when I first saw it. Noice.
    That's my shitter handle. It was an attempt to remedy "The Cursed Toilet".. The handles
    kept breaking.. I fought with that toilet for about 7 years, and then one day it just
    became permanently clogged... Valves, seals, chains, flaps, even the toilet seat would
    never stay tight.. It was CURSED!!!

I think my Better Half stuffed a dish towel down it to permanently clog it so that
    it would have to be replaced... I'm not sure if she was sick of that toilet
    breaking at least once a week, or if she was sick of me bitching about fixing
    the toilet every week..

Of course I bought a toilet that has a seat height that is about an inch higher
    than normal (not on purpose).. And she didn't like that, so now I have one
    of these...

7. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

so now I have one of these...
    You can get a pedicure at the same time.

9. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Theres a million things I would like to build but I just dont have time to tear the machines down to do something then set them back up for work.
    I have like 10 gun projects from the last 15+ years most of them I never even got to 10% completion on them, gotten prototypes finished on some and thats about it. cad files and prints are all drawn up etc etc. Drawn them up at home or when cncs are all running good. but when it comes to machine time I am stingy. even when it comes to making clamps or jaws its cheaper and faster in the long run just to buy them already made.

This one project is really bad Cause The Wife wants me to make it too, got most of the brass material the rest of material and the barrels its full size 45-70 1874 Gatling gun. Not some puny ass fireing 22 look alike. studied alot of picture and videos I have seen and little bits of patent info I find.
    got all the operations drawn and every single part done and planned just haven't cut a damn thing. Even bought all the alum to make a trial functional run(minus live rounds) because Brass and bronze is expensive.
    one of these days I keep telling myself I'll start on the machining . I love Machining and cutting metal. if I could stay awake Id do it 24/7. Kids are all grown up, youngest Daughter is in USMC Boot camp, then going off to school to play with Hueys for a bunch of years. then I'll have time I hope.

gatling_gun.jpg

11. Likes Bobw, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Qt CarbideBobo not make 1-2-3 blocks or you own precision vise. That a waste of effort with no reward since you can buy them for little.
    Agree to that 100%
    You could make a box slide grinding wheel dresser for use on a surface grinder. Just a 3/4x2x4" rectangle with a 1/2 x 1/2 slot. then a cap cover slotted so the diamond can stick out. Cold roll would be fine.
    Clamped to an angle plate for dressing angles.
    Make a tap driver that is a tube with a chuck mounted at one end. you set it in a rod held in a drill prss or held in a lathe tail and the tap driver can silde along the rod to tap holes.
    Make a small steam engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OR, when doing something.. LITERALLY ANYTHING!!! think "what would make this easier"..

One thing I've always wanted to make, and not because *I* want it.. I don't care about this
    in the slightest.. Some people get FREAKED out if the toilet paper is rolling off the
    wrong way.. A one way bearing in a toilet paper holder so the toilet paper HAS to be
    put in the right way.. Sell both OVER's and UNDER's... Depending on the household.
    The McMaster catalog don't unwind. It just lays there. Got lotsa pages but i wish they was bigger.........Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Do not make 1-2-3 blocks or you own precision vise. That a waste of effort with no reward since you can buy them for little.
    A set of tapping block for both English and metric are really easy and sort of a must have in the box.
    Other is what do you like?
    This may be coffee tables or car parts or who knows? People like to build steam engines, that never turned my crank.
    As a machinist you can build anything so it to the outside world what whould be neat to say I built that.
    RC stuff, gliders and kites, MC bikes, show cars, bicycles, skateboards, nano tech medical systems.
    What does turn you on?
    Most people have something they think really cool and will invest the lost time to doing it.

My grandfather made awesome coffee tables out of paint left on the Buick floor so you never know.
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Bob, I really like you as an "internet persona" here... but sometimes you come out of left field.
    I agree, in theory, you can buy a vise, 123 blocks, angles etc cheaper these days, but damn that almost seems like a rite of passage for a machinist!

I made - 123 blocks (9, just because I guess, with different hole patterns), V blocks, including 1 with a cutout for headed punches, vise (never finished ) angle plates, a "toolmakers block" (different steps, v grooves, tapped holes etc), parallels (odd sizes from leftover stock), custom v block @ 30deg with custom clamp also designed to work with my angle plates with custom block allowing me to do 5-45deg in 5 deg increments... (used to grind alot of shear on punches for stamping)

edit: I also made some 12" long parallels (I beam shaped) that I ground (and re-ground!) to get them less than .0002" flatness- that was a job! (:
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Qt CarbideBobo not make 1-2-3 blocks or you own precision vise. That a waste of effort with no reward since you can buy them for little.
    Agree to that 100%

You could make a box slide grinding wheel dresser for use on a surface grinder. Just a 3/4x2x4" rectangle with a 1/2 x 1/2 slot. then a cap cover slotted so the diamond can stick out. Cold roll would be fine.
    Clamped to an angle plate for dressing angles.
    Make a tap driver that is a tube with a chuck mounted at one end. you set it in a rod held in a drill prss or held in a lathe tail and the tap driver can silde along the rod to tap holes.
    Make a small steam engine.
    Dang guys! C'mon really... yes they are cheap, but it's a learning experience!

15. Likes malkey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why not just put an ad in Craigslist that you can make small items. Have fun and make a little cash, too!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Why not just put an ad in Craigslist that you can make small items. Have fun and make a little cash, too!
    Kind of like the chicken and egg scenario. Someone is going to see 123 blocks (or the like) on Amazon for https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Precisi...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And want them for cheaper!*

I don't want to come across as contradicting myself. I know that stuff is dirt cheap, but I still stand behind making your own as a learning experience. When I was doing my apprenticeship, we got mat's and heat treat for free. We just needed to put in the time (on shop tools/machines as well), a little different than trying to make something for profit...