What's new
What's new

Universal Grinder Questions. Looking At Buying One Used

Terry Z

Cast Iron
Good day. we are looking at a production job of molding 70A urethane on some aluminum hubs about 10 inches in diameter and a face width of 1.5 inches. The concentricity requirements force us to grind the tire O.D. The volume is too much to handle on an engine lathe with a tool post grinder. Would this be the best machine tool to buy to handle this work? I was thinking of a fixture in the chuck with a quick acting knob for mounting/dismounting the parts quickly. I have zero experience with this type of machine that is why I am asking. Are there ones to avoid and ones that are better to get? Thanks

Let us know what the production rate you're targeting is, as well as other issues (do you want a robot loader, any precision requirements, are you planning for fire risks, etc.).

With as simple a process as it seems, a purpose-modified lathe may work well for you. Removing the compound and adding a dedicated grinding spindle isn't hard.

Good day. we are looking at a production job of molding 70A urethane on some aluminum hubs about 10 inches in diameter and a face width of 1.5 inches. The concentricity requirements force us to grind the tire O.D. The volume is too much to handle on an engine lathe with a tool post grinder. Would this be the best machine tool to buy to handle this work? I was thinking of a fixture in the chuck with a quick acting knob for mounting/dismounting the parts quickly. I have zero experience with this type of machine that is why I am asking. Are there ones to avoid and ones that are better to get? Thanks

How doo you fixture these to the lathe ?

why not a simple 2 axis CNC Gang style lathe with the toolpost grinder on it ?

They probably could use more "grunt" than a typical toolpost grinder would offer, so my suggestion in post 2.

Yes, you can get them quite large (toolpost grinders) IIRC Ox did mount a Setco Largish one on a CNC lathe.

The Gang style CNC lathes are simple, and give you plenty of room to fixture up the grinder. Along with having a power chuck/collet system for easy load/unload.

Good day. we are looking at a production job of molding 70A urethane on some aluminum hubs about 10 inches in diameter and a face width of 1.5 inches. The concentricity requirements force us to grind the tire O.D.

I’m curious, will you tell me more about grinding the urethane? Room temperature? What wheel?

Back