What's new
What's new

Unknown Drafting Symbol - Half-Filled Circle X

holows88

Aluminum
Hey there y'all,

I've hunted through my Machinist Handbook. I've scoured the internet. And yet, I can't figure out what the heck this symbol on the drawing I'm working off is.

Engineer is retired and customer is unaware. Part is an aluminum hatch cover. The symbol is near, but not quite in the center of the part I'm making (off by about 0.071").

unknown_drafting_symbol_filledX_circle.jpg

Anyone know what the heck it could be?

Thanks in advance!

origin

***The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters***

I've also seen that symbol used to denote a reamed hole, but usually it's with the "cross hairs" aligned vertically and horizontally. Usually for a dowel pin.

I've also seen that symbol used to denote a reamed hole, but usually it's with the "cross hairs" aligned vertically and horizontally. Usually for a dowel pin.

When I worked on marking out that was the symbol we used for a reamed hole. You blued or whitened up whatever it was you were marking out, scribed out your reamer drill dia circle, then your reamed hole dia circle. Then you dotted the quadrants with a centre punch. Last thing to do was to scratch out two sections of the circle in the blue with your scriber, just like the illustration, to signify to the driller that it was a reamed hole and not a drilled and tapped hole. As you say the crosshairs would be aligned vertically and horizontally.

Regards Tyrone.

I looked and wondered what the hell a hydraulic motor symbol was there for, ok minus the lines, it’s not a drg symbol I’ve used geometrically but who knows what iso symbols appear each day!
DDs start seems poss,
Mark

When I worked on marking out that was the symbol we used for a reamed hole. You blued or whitened up whatever it was you were marking out, scribed out your reamer drill dia circle, then your reamed hole dia circle. Then you dotted the quadrants with a centre punch. Last thing to do was to scratch out two sections of the circle in the blue with your scriber, just like the illustration, to signify to the driller that it was a reamed hole and not a drilled and tapped hole. As you say the crosshairs would be aligned vertically and horizontally.

Regards Tyrone.

Eggsactly! It seems to be kind of old school, the newer guys don't seem to use it anymore.

I just did a part that had a bunch of symbols similar to that.

I found my answer in the notes.

This quadrant blacked out meant
a .293 hole. That quadrant blacked out was a .359 hole.
Those 2 quadrants blacked out meant a .3125 on assembly.
Those other 2 quadrants blacked out was a .375 on assembly.

Did you dig through the notes?

Back