What's new
What's new

Unknown milling machine

Hi all came across this milling machine that is for sale, would anyone know if it is a chinese or taiwanese make:confused:

Cheers,
Mark.

View attachment 219028

View attachment 219029

View attachment 219027

I would hazard a guess that it is one of those we sometimes call "generic Taiwanese", yes. "Mainland" China uses a character set with a lot of simplified radicals. The data plate seems to be in the "traditional" Chinese characters still used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc.

Note the "50 Hz" - no sweat.

Also "380 Volt" - above my pay grade to know if that wants a transformer or VFD or both when operated in Australia.

OK thanks for that, i was thinking it was a chinese make. I will go and have a look at he asking $2,500 AUD for it. Also found this Rambaudi Mill which i will have a look at as well, he wans $2,750 AUD for it. My budget is $3,000 AUD don't know if i will get a decent milling machine for $3,000 especially here in Australia:confused:

Vertical-Milling-machine_19230301.h.jpg

Vertical-Milling-machine_19230302.h.jpg

Vertical-Milling-machine_19230303.h.jpg

Vertical-Milling-machine_19230304.h.jpg

Hi Mark,

Hands down, the Rambaudi mill is the better mill of the two, if it all works and hasn't been abused. It would have built in power feeds and rapids on all axis, a much bigger table, and likely a wider range of speeds in the head. It doesn't have the "nodding" feature that the bridgeport styles do, but to most guys, that is a plus. Much more rigid. The Rambaudi mill would be taller and much heavier that the BP style mill.

I own a Rambaudi MS2 mill, which also has the horizontal spindle. Other than that, they look identical. I looked at quite a few Bridgeports before I found the Rambaudi mill. At first, I was intimidated by it's size, but once I bought it, I just love it.

Brian

Hi Mark,

Hands down, the Rambaudi mill is the better mill of the two, if it all works and hasn't been abused. It would have built in power feeds and rapids on all axis, a much bigger table, and likely a wider range of speeds in the head. It doesn't have the "nodding" feature that the bridgeport styles do, but to most guys, that is a plus. Much more rigid. The Rambaudi mill would be taller and much heavier that the BP style mill.

I own a Rambaudi MS2 mill, which also has the horizontal spindle. Other than that, they look identical. I looked at quite a few Bridgeports before I found the Rambaudi mill. At first, I was intimidated by it's size, but once I bought it, I just love it.

Brian

Thank you for this post. I was not deep knowledge about this but I got a basic knowledge from you.

Hard to tell from the pics, but is that dirt and leaves all over the Rambaudi base and floor. If so bring lots of rags and way oil before you even move any of the axis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Another vote for the Rambaudi, AS LONG AS it's not worn or damaged etc etc, AFAIK parts are unobtanium.

If you're not sure of what you're looking at, take someone with you who does.

Oh yeah, compared to the Asian mill the Rambaudi is likely to be very heavy - anything up to 2000kg

FYI Rambaudi Millers

OK thanks for that, i was thinking it was a chinese make. I will go and have a look at he asking $2,500 AUD for it. Also found this Rambaudi Mill which i will have a look at as well, he wans $2,750 AUD for it. My budget is $3,000 AUD don't know if i will get a decent milling machine for $3,000 especially here in Australia:confused:

View attachment 219041

View attachment 219042

View attachment 219043

View attachment 219044

Grab the Rambaudi - QUICKLY!

Then run fast and hide - before someone realizes you have gotten away with a genuine treasure!

:D

Hi Brian,
Yes i really like the Rambaudi mill i did miss out on one last year, lets see how i go with this one. I did some research on them one thing to look out for is the half nut that can be worn out and very hard to find one.

Cheers,
Mark.

Yeah leaves and dirt around the base and floor. He lives off the main road and i got to drive on a dirt road for a couple of kilometers, you could say semi bush area. But as you can see there is not much rust on the mill.

Half-nut on a mill - ?? That's a new one on me. What does the half-nut do?

Traverses the table, long-axis. Vertical space-saving? Clears debris? Has greater total bearing area to spread wear? All of the above?

Ever been to Italy? Dated an Italian gal? Tried to get any two Italians to agree, even within a family?

Hard to call that "thinking out of the box" for folk who never entered a "box" to begin with!

:D

I can see how convenient the front-mounted hand wheel would be compared to the end-mounted wheels I'm used to.

So obvious, once seen, surface-grinder style, even, that one actually wonders why more builders didn't do the same. The "half nut" is not the only way to implement the more ergonometric handwheel. Not by a long-shot.

Downsides? Wide/deep work that overhangs the table and shrouds it. But the same thing has been an issue on overly LONG work even on "conventional" handwheel or balanced-lever placement.

Hi Guys,
Just got back from inspecting the Rambaudi Mill, there is 19 thou play on the X and Y axis and the knee about the same. The owner did not know how to operate most of the controls, went threw all the spindle speeds he said the highest speed there is a c clip on top that pops off the spindle shaft after about 30 mins run. All power feeds work no bad nose. Some pics to look at the half nut looks good. So I'm going to go for it, i got the price down to $2,200 AUD.
Cheers,
Mark.

Resize of IMG_6363.jpg

Resize of Resize of IMG_6363.jpg

Resize of IMG_6369.jpg

Resize of IMG_6366.jpgResize of IMG_6365.jpg

Back