What's new
What's new

Unknown type 2-piece angle block gages

I agree with eKretz. One of the obvious possible purposes would be master gages for making production gages for dovetail machine ways.

I’m sure that’s correct. The “smoking gun” evidence is probably the 12th photo showing a block with part of the markings reading “EO-5475-E” which I’m sure is an Engineering Order. EO’s as far as I know are documents making changes to or directing something in reference to a higher-level configuration, say a master drawing package for one product. So these blocks could have been issued icw the cited EO which might have given the procedure for their use on the factory floor.

I have used and made such blocks for checking an angle with using a wire at the not-check side.
Beats setting up a sine or travel off a gage block.

Feel one in twice and getting a zero (or spec) is the quickest way to check an angle.

I have used and made such blocks for checking an angle with using a wire at the not-check side.
Beats setting up a sine or travel off a gage block.

Feel one in twice and getting a zero (or spec) is the quickest way to check an angle.

So r u saying u put the gage in the work at angle to be checked, then stick a wire in the center hole and see if it sticks or drags out?

Put the wire on the other flat to see that that side was not gauging on the wrong side, and put it in the hole as a top stop to keep the other angle away. I think I may still have a box of them out in the shop (?).

Put the wire on the other flat to see that that side was not gauging on the wrong side, and put it in the hole as a top stop to keep the other angle away. I think I may still have a box of them out in the shop (?).

Cool, if you could get a photo sometime I’d like to see. If u clean house someday don’t toss ‘em, I’d pay something to get them here, I like shop-made stuff.

Make sure you let us know Buck, there are plenty of guys who are still adding to their collections here, haha. I am not looking forward to the day I need to cull some of my own things myself. Hopefully that is still some time away.

Back