What's new
What's new

Unusual End Mill Identification

Diving Doug

Plastic
While I am not a professional machinist, I have been around in my years but I came across an end mill that I have never seen before. As seen in the photos, this is a three flute bit with the main section of the cutting edges ground with a downward helix while the bottom 3/16" or so is ground with a traditional upward helix. Both cutting edges are cutting in a normal clockwise direction and because of the way it's ground, the cutting edges overlap a bit.

It looks like a factory grind as I don't think you could modify an existing end mill to this configuration. If it was originally a full downward cutting helix, the relief grind would not allow for the short bottom cutting edges to exist.

It appears to be solid carbide and maybe has some cobalt added. It's much heavier that HSS (relatively speaking)

IMG_5997.jpg IMG_6000.jpg

Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before and what it would be used for.

While I am not a professional machinist, I have been around in my years but I came across an end mill that I have never seen before. As seen in the photos, this is a three flute bit with the main section of the cutting edges ground with a downward helix while the bottom 3/16" or so is ground with a traditional upward helix. Both cutting edges are cutting in a normal clockwise direction and because of the way it's ground, the cutting edges overlap a bit.

It looks like a factory grind as I don't think you could modify an existing end mill to this configuration. If it was originally a full downward cutting helix, the relief grind would not allow for the short bottom cutting edges to exist.

It appears to be solid carbide and maybe has some cobalt added. It's much heavier that HSS (relatively speaking)

View attachment 322189 View attachment 322190

Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before and what it would be used for.

Compression cutter or downcut cutter. For milling plywood or laminate.

Tool Holders, Collets and Machine Accessories 4 fl. sqr Downcutting - MariTool

Qty (6) minutes for the answer....Not-Too-Shabby.

The configuration shown was designed to drive burrs towards the middle of the cutter. Down on the topside, up on the bottom. marketed as mills for composite materials. 'Nuther link here.

Yup. That's a compression bit. As beege said, the bottom pulls material up and the top pushes material down. It helps prevent chipping out on the top and bottom of laminated pressboard. I used to use these all the time in the cabinet shop.

Thought I had posted a thanks to all the answers but apparently not. So, thanks for all the answers. I figured it was something along those lines but had just never seen one and didn't know the targeted application.

Back