What's new
What's new

Unusual terms for materials,tooling etc

TedinNorfolk

Stainless
So-many years ago I was training/working at a gauging/inspection manufacturer at Hitchin,about 30miles north of London. I would have drawings calling for BDMS,black bar,PB,CI etc. One day I had a drawing calling for Arne. I asked what Arne was and they said Gauge Plate-ok,fine. Maybe Arne is a local term for Gauge Plate?Anyone else heard the term,and heard other quaint terms for materials,tooling etc?

So-many years ago I was training/working at a gauging/inspection manufacturer at Hitchin,about 30miles north of London. I would have drawings calling for BDMS,black bar,PB,CI etc. One day I had a drawing calling for Arne. I asked what Arne was and they said Gauge Plate-ok,fine. Maybe Arne is a local term for Gauge Plate?Anyone else heard the term,and heard other quaint terms for materials,tooling etc?

some places over hundred years old got strange names for stuff. had job call for green tapping the holes. whats a green tap? its a oversize tap for parts that get heat treated and the tool crib paints them green so they dont get mistaken for regular taps

some places over hundred years old got strange names for stuff. had job call for green tapping the holes. whats a green tap? its a oversize tap for parts that get heat treated and the tool crib paints them green so they dont get mistaken for regular taps

We work with "green drilling" and "green machining", although in our case the parts are sintered (powder metal) and term carries over from ceramics where "green" is pre bake/sintering.

When I worked in a lab we had a "hot freezer". It was a normal household freezer but we used it to store dead research animals if they were radioactive. Eventually someone would empty it and take the stuff to be buried in Nevada.

IT is as said udderhome arne tool steel plate, a company, common version is guage plate, I think Arne was calcium modified to change the slag inclusions to spheres
Mark

other quaint terms for materials,tooling etc?

It was pretty common to see (on drawings) and hear tool steel specified by manufacturers trade name in my experience, e.g. Keewatin, Amutit 'S', NN, FNS, Special K, Carpenters KW, SC23, SD 50, Super Impacto (SD 51), CM, AHT 28, Cromoloy are a few from the 1970's & 80's....several different manufacturers there, there were preferences for specific brand names based on experience.

Watch how this plays out.

Tom, it is NOT in reference to "oversized" taps!!!!!!

When you get a un-broke Horse, you have to slowly train it, from wild Mustang to Riding Horse. When you train it to the point that you can get a Bit, a Saddle and Reins on the sombitch, but a person is still unable to mount the horse, then a trainer would refer to that as "Green Broke". Led but not Rode.

The same thing applies to Tapping it refers to Tapping as deep as 1 full turn with major diameter. So that the holes are not to size or depth regardless of what outside processing it needs. But deep enough that you basically need to be a dunce to F it up.

Just wanted to clear that up, in case any Noobs read this. Not oversized, just started.

R

Think about it. Ever heard of a Greenhorn, a Green Engine, Green compound, Green Land. Nothing to do with oversized, overweight, overkill, over anything.

When Cessna came out with tricycle landing gear the marketing people called it the "Land-O-Matic".

I used to make construction tools. You had a choice between "regular" (4340) and "excalibur" (EN30B/AHT28). Who wouldn't want "excalibur" on the job?

Every shop has nicknames for parts- I've got lots of "stick-togethers" and "potato chips" flying around.

Watch how this plays out.

Tom, it is NOT in reference to "oversized" taps!!!!!!

When you get a un-broke Horse, you have to slowly train it, from wild Mustang to Riding Horse. When you train it to the point that you can get a Bit, a Saddle and Reins on the sombitch, but a person is still unable to mount the horse, then a trainer would refer to that as "Green Broke". Led but not Rode.

The same thing applies to Tapping it refers to Tapping as deep as 1 full turn with major diameter. So that the holes are not to size or depth regardless of what outside processing it needs. But deep enough that you basically need to be a dunce to F it up.

Just wanted to clear that up, in case any Noobs read this. Not oversized, just started.

R

Think about it. Ever heard of a Greenhorn, a Green Engine, Green compound, Green Land. Nothing to do with oversized, overweight, overkill, over anything.

green taps are oversize and confirmed by gh number inch and
D for metric taps of course
i obviously dont trust 100% guy in tool crib with the spray paint. 1/4-20 in m6 drawer has happened before. i always read what tap says

trim block
trim blocks are bolted to table and marked up and a .001" removed then indicated to confirm all the blocks within .0003" as most machines the table never that flat. part then set on the trim blocks

Back