What's new
What's new

Up on two wheels: Lots of good machining ....Video

I saw some of that on another site....I'm impressed but also suspicious in that a lot of steps are being not mentioned, or ...?

For example, on another engine, he welded two case halves together then said he was ready to bolt the cylinder heads on. I don't think there's any way he could have done that without truing up all the surfaces. Welding is not gonna leave everything flat and square.

I saw some of that on another site....I'm impressed but also suspicious in that a lot of steps are being not mentioned, or ...?

For example, on another engine, he welded two case halves together then said he was ready to bolt the cylinder heads on. I don't think there's any way he could have done that without truing up all the surfaces. Welding is not gonna leave everything flat and square.

It's not a "how to". But inspirational for any who might dare!

Push a soup can into the sand, pull it out and fill the hole with molten alu. Viola, you have the start of a piston!

I've been watching Millyard on YouTube and elsewhere ever since he did his Multi-cylinder Yamaha bikes. That guy is a real home-grown genius. He's a combination welder, machinist and thinker par-excellence!

I'm sure that he would machine all surfaces flat after welding. That's basic, but it's the engineering issues that he does that amaze me. For example cutting camshafts in sections to re-orient them when adding cylinders to an engine. That's not for just anyone.

EDIT: Later on, perhaps Part 2. he's shown riding the V-twin bike and I doubt that it's turning very fast.

He's sure fun to watch!

He's good, not sure I'd like some of his creations between my legs though :eek:

IIRC in the 70's someone in the UK was building 3 cylinder 2 stroke Yamaha racers ..possibly for the 500 class?

IIRC in the 70's someone in the UK was building 3 cylinder 2 stroke Yamaha racers ..possibly for the 500 class?
This same Pratt & Whitney cylinders trick was done ages ago, probably in the seventies. People who do this stuff get more publicity now.

The one you might like even more is Jim Fuelling's Harley triple. Not transverse, it's a v3 and looks stock, except way cooler :)

It's interesting, but about the laziest revving engine I've ever heard. Pretty cool for a talking point though, definitely unique.

I've got a Fordson E27n. Tractor.
Splash lube, poured babbet bearings.

Four cylinder. Full engine RPM is 1100. Gets almost everything done at about half throttle. I don't like working the old gal too hard, but she can push a load of snow or pull a stump as good as the young'uns.

Don't you mean a W3 ?
Too bad we lost Mr Jim.
That's what he called it but I think V is more correct. Take the H-16 as an example, and VW have now built what they call W motors, two side-by-side v's in a common block, fits the W designation better ... "part-radial" maybe ?

Ja, J Fueling did some cool stuff. Didn't get the big publicity then like you do now though. Even Ardun is like, "huh ? whatsthat ?" to most people.

CalG said:
And they aren't "Lectrons"! ;-)
Worked fine for Kenny ...

Yeah I've done that back when I still used to ride. Pretty scary and very counterintuitive the first time. Fun as all get out afterward though. :D

Once upon a time I asked Mert "What do you do when you're halfway through a turn and find out it's tighter than you thought, you're going to run out of road ?"

The answer ? "Give it more gas." :D

He's right, it pushes you around tighter but the first time, jeeze :eek:

Lawell?

When in doubt, Pin it!

Rolling off only pushes the bike into the crumbles or the rails.

Twisting the right wrist is your friend.

I still ride, 68 yoa, VFR with scratched up "feelers" on the pegs. And I don't mind when the back end breaks a bit on the dirt road corners. Even if this street bike handlebar layout is sketch.

The local roads are well known. Double the posted warning sign is "just too fast" for me. But only just ;-)
I like to go in, hitch over. (I don't hang off , Mike the Bike is right) Then a steady ROLL ON.
If the path is running out of room, it's easy enough to roll on a bit more briskly.

NOTE WELL! After a rain, when sand may have washed onto the corner road surface, I'm doubly cautious. I fell down once. I was pretty banged up , Told the doctor I fell off a ladder. Got a WICKED case of poison ivy! I don't want to do that again! ;-)

Back