Or otherwise completely destroyed...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I checked and the price for a "large box" was 2.5x USPS rate for 2 day delivery. If they have 5 sizes and 3 speeds, you'd think they could easily publish the 15 prices in a chart, but they don't. If I have to create a shipment to see the hidden and easily changed "flat" rate, I'm not sure how of an improvement that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    I checked and the price for a "large box" was 2.5x USPS rate for 2 day delivery. If they have 5 sizes and 3 speeds, you'd think they could easily publish the 15 prices in a chart, but they don't. If I have to create a shipment to see the hidden and easily changed "flat" rate, I'm not sure how of an improvement that is.
    What is USPS large box size? 12x12x6? So UPS is double that and you are not locked in to using their boxes, you can use ANY box that meets the cubic inches.

UPS link in first post has the chart of sizes & prices, page 72&73

Here it is, scroll way down to pg 72&3, simple rate:
    https://www.ups.com/assets/resources...es.pdf#page=76

4. Likes CosmosK liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see. I was previously going to complain that their "simple" rates were buried in a 90 page pdf! I guess they were in there

I don't think they double the size. USPS large flat rate is 12x12x6, but that's inside. UPS measures outside and rounds up, so 13x13x7 = 1183 which puts you in XL. Either way $42(L) or $55(XL) still sucks in comparison to $18.

Using your own box also costs money. USPS boxes are free. True, not as flexible, but by far a better deal. My 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No question that IF it fits in a flat rate post office box that is the best way to go and is always my first choice, but it is nice to have an affordable option now for larger or odd shapes.

7. Likes dgfoster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dgfoster View Post
    Never had any trouble with box damage or bruising of the SE despite shipping all over the 50 states, Canada, and Australia with USPS,UPS, and FedEx. The recipient usually keeps the box for SE safe-keeping.

Denis
    Actually... I re-used YOUR nicely-made "crate" to ship my previous 30" Camelback .. that member ewsley had scraped.. that your one replaced ...to PM member JST.

Getting to be a PM-family heirloom?

9. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saved $13 today off of what would have been a $33 shipment. Covered lunch for 2.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know a large volume ebay sellor who never ever uses UPS. The reason being it's next to impossible to get a claim for shipping damage paid out. He uses USPS exclusively.

My understanding is about the only way to get UPS to pay on a claim is to get the shipment packaged at a UPS approved mail stop, but that only adds to the expense.

So even if they do offer flat rate shipping there are still significant downsides to using UPS>

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GregSY View Post
    "Your complaints with UPS make me wonder. Did you report the damage? "

Lol...as if that would do anything. UPS, FedEx, Amazon....their business model is based on the 'avoidance' of any and all claims. Legally? sure - you have a leg to stand on. Just don't expect anyone to really care. You can go sit in the gorilla cage at the zoo and tell him in clear tones that he legally has no right to do what he's doing to you while he's doing it and a crowd watches.
    I must have been lucky the few times I have had a shipping complaint.

One time I ordered some gage pins,and sure enough flimsy cardboard box shows up at my doorstep. As soon as I pick it up I hear/feel pins rolling around. I emailed the place pics (it was no name, not Vermont or anyone) and after a couple back and forths they refunded my money AND let me keep the pins.

One other time I ordered some game sausage and one of the three rolls showed up not sealed so same thing, email them pics. No problem we'll get you another package out right away. They sent me another pack of 3, even though only one of them was bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post

One time I ordered some gage pins,and sure enough flimsy cardboard box shows up at my doorstep. As soon as I pick it up I hear/feel pins rolling around. I emailed the place pics (it was no name, not Vermont or anyone) and after a couple back and forths they refunded my money AND let me keep the pins.

One other time I ordered some game sausage and one of the three rolls showed up not sealed so same thing, email them pics. No problem we'll get you another package out right away. They sent me another pack of 3, even though only one of them was bad.
    These guys are complaining the carrier (ups, fedex, usps, etc..) does not pay damages, you dealt with reputable companies that ate the cost of the damage themselves and gave you replacements, bypassing the need to deal with the carrier

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post

That was who you bought from taking care of it, not UPS, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every claim I've made has been paid by UPS. Granted there have only been 5 over the past 15 years, but properly packed, and all done on an account. I know they do keep an accounting of your claims, how often & probably also percentage of claims per total packages shipped, which will no doubt have a bearing on the probability of your getting paid. Their initial response is always how your items was not properly packaged so you need to be persistent, but I also take photos of the packaging of expensive shipments.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    These guys are complaining the carrier (ups, fedex, usps, etc..) does not pay damages, you dealt with reputable companies that ate the cost of the damage themselves and gave you replacements, bypassing the need to deal with the carrier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    That was who you bought from taking care of it, not UPS, correct?
    Yes and yes. BUT I'm not sure the difference? Why wouldn't you go to the seller and say "this was packaged like poop"??/

I can kind of understand the carrier not wanting to eat the cost IF the original seller packaged like crap....

Now, if you have some proof seller packaged well, but delivery just shit on it, maybe...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My record for claims is 0-2 with UPS, while USPS paid both claims I made in full. I have NEVER been involved a claim with Fedex, whether inbound or out bound freight. I often have just lived with the damage from the Brown Rugby Team. Most all damaged packages are small diameter bar stock in tubes. Since I order plenty I just cut out the bent spots. That does suck when you have a 12 foot bar feeder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Have they updated their gps system so they can actually find an address? I've been accepting packages at Nv address for 18 years from USPS and Fedex, the UPS dolts still cannot f'ing find me. Literally, the only 4 story building, in a town of single story buildings, I've even modified my address to _________ Building, nope, the dolts drive right on by, and enter "address not found- return to sender". United Parcel Smashers is a joke, those dolts could not find their ass with both hands.
    After many similar experiences, I called the local delivery manager. She was able to add some data to their system that described our house well enough that we have not had a problem for a long time now (like 10 years). Before that? Next door, across the street, "can't find that address" gorp was very common from UPS. Just went through that with FedEx, but it's too soon to report success...or failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was expecting a UPS delivery today, as usual my expectations were too high. Tracking is still showing its out for delivery, by end of day, but its 4pm, sun is setting, they've been thru town, and still no package. I've talked with UPS managers on multiple occasions trying to sort this out, but they are 100+ miles away, and I think they contract deliveries to this area. No idea what the contractor pays the drivers, yet it is clearly not enough to keep them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is now Friday, the sh__ brown team lost my package, last scan was when it was loaded on truck in SLC, never made it to bfe. It was a light envelope, the bezel and crystal for my Sunnen gauge, guessing it blew out of back of a pickup somewhere on the salt flats

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My experiences with UPS in general are good. It has only been round objects poorly packaged that I had a problem with: I ordered two used rifle barrels, the seller said he shipped them all the time.. described the tube, the ends on the tube etc.. I paid for insurance.. both tubes showed up. Only one had a barrel inside. Like I had feared the packaging was too skimpy on the ends of the tubes.. they had been dropped or rode sitting on end, and the cardboard/tape had worn, and the barrel acted like a round hole punch. The empty tube had an neat round exit hole.. BUT UPS did cover the insurance claim. this was 20 years ago.
    'DHL' delivery service is worthless. They delivered a D1-3 lathe chuck backing plate to the wrong address. Used a photo of it leaning against the house's door as 'the signature for it being accepted/delivered'. My chasing down DHL resulted in them saying that the route delivery-person went back to the 'wrong' address twice, left a note, requesting the package to be put out for pickup, and nothing.. no package.. after a week they officially declared the package 'LOST' it's not LOST, they know exactly where it was delivered..
    They refused to give me the actual address it was delivered to: 'not our policy to give out addresses'.. I even took the photo and went looking for that blue front door with the odd doormat.. And never found it..

The seller/shipper shipped me a second backing plate, and I provided them with all my email and notes from my dealings with DHL. I do not know if they recovered the cost of their item..

i will add though: My GPS location on all databases is actually the geographic center of my property. My house/shop is on one corner of hundreds of acres. The GPS location is about 3/8 of a mile north of my house/mailbox.. But the GPS routing will consistently show routing to an interception of dirt roads way north of my home.. and then A DOTTED LINE from the intersection out into the swamp, as the 'route' to my 'address'.. Of course I checked all up and down those two roads for my DHL box. with no luck.

So, old school here.. could a delivery person just find my ROAD, by the CORRECT NAME? then follow the clearly posted address numbers on mailboxes? I guess not.. like giving change at a fast food place.. don't confuse the employee with giving them $.03.. just take your $.97 change, even if you have a pocket full, they can't do math or even think clearly.

DualValve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default USPS: the box crushers.

I ship a lot of antique car parts.. they are NOT replaceable.. NOBODY is going to spend the money to make a camshaft sprocket/gear or similar item for these old cars.. just not feasible for the costs involved..
    I prefer USPS 'Flat-Rate'.. it is an economical way to ship.
    BUT a shipper has to make the boxes 'tire-tread proof'. or you risk damage to or loss of your item.

What I do is to double up the boxes.. that helps.. If I have a truly important part, I make a 3/8" plywood box to fit inside the USPS Flat Rate box.. As long as I can do this,, the items arrive, usually 'shaken, not stirred'.

I had two newly re-babbitted and machined to size connecting rods shipped. I did the packaging, they were both wrapped and taped with cardboard and tape, even some 'filament-tape'. The connecting rods are 11.5" long.. so I used a LARGE flat rate box, put them in diagonally, with doubled corners.. BUT not plywood, I learned that from this experience. I took a photo of the box and packaging..
    I took the box to the Post office on the way to the airport.. I flew to the destination. when the box arrived, one of the connecting rods was poking out the corner of the box, naked, which a thumb-nail sized hunk of the babbitt ripped out of the rod-cap, NOW THAT takes some 'doing'.. I think I could accomplish that damage with a bench vice, hammer and chisel ?
    I photographed the damage, with the rod hanging out, and the USPS driver holding the box... I filed the insurance claim online that afternoon.. and got no response,, but a check came in the mail two days later.. full amount, for the damage, not for a lost item.
    While far from the best, at least I was able to pay for the babbitting service to be re-done..

I decided to look into why, how, a box can be so damaged in shipping..

DualValve..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default USPS Flat Rate Box Damage.

I once received a small Flat-Rate box, all taped up, with an apology note from the USPS also taped to the box.. It had contained three DECALS.. inside an envelope with written directions for placement and application All carefully put into a BOX, it could have been an envelope, but the shipper said folding of the decals had been a problem so he shipped them in a box..
    Thankfully the contents, the decals were not damaged.. but HOW would a box get THAT mangled? The box weighed only an ounce or two more than the empty box..

So I did a bit of researching, and learned this: the flat rate boxes go onto a conveyor, that has UBS BarCode readers.. The boxes are shorted by ZipCode. As they go down the conveyor line, either a door opens or a foot kicks the box or by some method, the boxes are pushed off the main conveyor, and into side lines and then into Zip-Code region large shipping crates..
    The conveyor just ends. the boxes drop into a large container.. So if your box is heavy, and it lands on another box that is poorly taped, or flimsy, especially if it is resting on the corner of a rigid box, then the resulting crushing of the middle boxes.. Just visualize that..
    So, I DO visualize that every time I pack a USPS Flat-Rate box.. I have to make it machine-sorting proof..

This sorting does explain how I have received very well taped, double walled boxes that are so 'tenderized' that the look like a cardboard and tape soccer ball..

But in general, the items survive..

DualValve