UPS has flat rate shipping now! - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 80 of 80
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    19,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    It is now Friday, the sh__ brown team lost my package, last scan was when it was loaded on truck in SLC, never made it to bfe. It was a light envelope, the bezel and crystal for my Sunnen gauge, guessing it blew out of back of a pickup somewhere on the salt flats
    New package plan...pay extra and they don't strap it under the truck....

  2. Likes Ron Hofer liked this post
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    217
    Likes (Received)
    1807

    Default

    Dealing with a vendor, any vendor is a 2 way street.

    I guesstimate we ship over 30,000 packages a year. Probably 90% UPS and 10% USPS. In 1 year we may have 8-10 claims between these 2 vendors. Thats it!

    We always use shipping approved and new boxes and packaging materials. Shipping label is printed on a waterproof label. Anything heavy is double boxed and taped everywhere. Any items of value are put in boxes no matter how small. You don't ship expensive stuff in a mailer!! Sure it may fit, but you are just asking for trouble, easy to loose and easy to rip.

    These and a few more precautions really pay off. For the retailer and the customer.

  4. Likes Totallyrc liked this post
  5. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    4,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1018
    Likes (Received)
    2307

    Default

    Just posting a little boots-on-the-ground experience here. I shipped one of my 36" Foster Featherweight cast iron straight edges to a PMer in Connecticut from Washington State today using the simple rate. I printed my label at home and dropped the package weighing about 35 pounds off at my local shipping store----not UPS. Earlier for for the same package to the same address using standard shipping the charge was 94 dollars. Using the simple rate it was 30.25 including 5 dollars insurance for 500 dollar value.

    I like it!

    As an aside, I bumped into my former regular UPS delivery guy who delivered to my neighborhood for 10 years. He changed routes several years ago but remembered me and MY ADDRESS! Yup, he said he remembers virtually all of them---just a natural knack he has. Nice fellow and impressive memory.

    Denis
    Last edited by dgfoster; 02-11-2020 at 06:54 PM. Reason: clarification

  6. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brookfield, WI
    Posts
    648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    862
    Likes (Received)
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    New package plan...pay extra and they don't strap it under the truck....
    They have straps?!

  7. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    4,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1018
    Likes (Received)
    2307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    Dealing with a vendor, any vendor is a 2 way street.

    I guesstimate we ship over 30,000 packages a year. Probably 90% UPS and 10% USPS. In 1 year we may have 8-10 claims between these 2 vendors. Thats it!

    We always use shipping approved and new boxes and packaging materials. Shipping label is printed on a waterproof label. Anything heavy is double boxed and taped everywhere. Any items of value are put in boxes no matter how small. You don't ship expensive stuff in a mailer!! Sure it may fit, but you are just asking for trouble, easy to loose and easy to rip.

    These and a few more precautions really pay off. For the retailer and the customer.
    Agree that packaging is important and the responsibility of the person purchasing the shipping. Since my straight edge was carefully machined and potentially damaged if not securely packaged, I made my usual plywood or particle board and fir box fitted to the Straight edge with internal blocking to hold the tool snugly. In normal handling I expect the package to be dropped and slid across a concrete floor etc. The packaging will withstand that.

    Denis

  8. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Abingdon, VA
    Posts
    3,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4805
    Likes (Received)
    3459

    Default

    UPS is trying to compete with the USPS for smaller packages.

    Of course considering the USPS lost about 8 billion dollars last year, thanks to the US taxpayer (and future taxpayers), shipping through the USPS is cheap.

    I reckon the pension obligations are what causes the USPS to lose so much money every year.

    Kinda like a lot of state and local governments, they have promised way more than they can actually afford in pensions...

    ToolCat

  9. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    4,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    559
    Likes (Received)
    2981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    UPS is trying to compete with the USPS for smaller packages.

    Of course considering the USPS lost about 8 billion dollars last year, thanks to the US taxpayer (and future taxpayers), shipping through the USPS is cheap.

    I reckon the pension obligations are what causes the USPS to lose so much money every year.

    Kinda like a lot of state and local governments, they have promised way more than they can actually afford in pensions...

    ToolCat
    They spend 5.7 in prefunding pensions as ordered by the Gov't, and lost 3.9 billion

    its math

    USPS does not lose money on operations

  10. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    AR, USA
    Posts
    997
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    I don't think they double the size. USPS large flat rate is 12x12x6, but that's inside. UPS measures outside and rounds up, so 13x13x7 = 1183 which puts you in XL. Either way $42(L) or $55(XL) still sucks in comparison to $18.
    Unless they changed recently, size calculations for UPS are done using standard rounding procedures (up if .5" or over otherwise down). Weight is always rounded up.

  11. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    4,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1018
    Likes (Received)
    2307

    Default

    Hmmm, I don't get it. I just (yesterday) bought UPS XL shipping from Western Washington to Connecticut for 25 dollars plus 5 dollars insurance. Where does 42 dollars come in? I think the rate is the same within the entire continental US (not sure about HI, AK, and Puerto Rico). Comparing the exact same size and weight package I shipped UPS a few months ago for 95 dollars (still considerably cheaper than USPS shipping), I think the new system is unbeatable compared to any other shipper and a bargain. I'd like to know if there is a better one since I ship this same or larger packages every few weeks.

    Package dimensions were 37 X 8 X 4 and weighed 32 pounds.

    Denis

    Edit: Ah, I suspect the 55 dollar quoted is for other than "ground" shipping----probably 2nd day air. I shipped ground which takes 1 week to make the trip.

  12. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgfoster View Post
    Edit: Ah, I suspect the 55 dollar quoted is for other than "ground" shipping----probably 2nd day air. I shipped ground which takes 1 week to make the trip.
    Correct, USPS priority in many cases goes from coast to coast in two days, so would be fair to compare to UPS Blue, not ground. UPS is the way to go when they get a heavier, but if it fits in a flat rate USPS box, it's an excellent value compared to UPS.

  13. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    4,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1018
    Likes (Received)
    2307

    Default

    I agree that USPS Flat Rate is hands down the best choice for those items that fit in their boxes. I use them whenever possible. The problem is they have very limited selection of box sizes. UPS opened up a lot of possibilities by using total volume of the package as their criterion and not offering a limited number of specific boxes. Both have upper weight limits with 70 pounds being the domestic limit for USPS and 50 for UPS. Also THE UPS program is limited to the lower 48 but USPS covers all 50 plus PR. Also USPS Prioriy Flat Rate works internationally with a 20 pound limit. Probably more info than most want to know.

    Denis

  14. Likes gustafson liked this post
  15. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2348
    Likes (Received)
    1995

    Default

    Thank you Denis for posting these real world comparisons.

  16. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    4,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    559
    Likes (Received)
    2981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dgfoster View Post
    I agree that USPS Flat Rate is hands down the best choice for those items that fit in their boxes. I use them whenever possible. The problem is they have very limited selection of box sizes. UPS opened up a lot of possibilities by using total volume of the package as their criterion and not offering a limited number of specific boxes. Both have upper weight limits with 70 pounds being the domestic limit for USPS and 50 for UPS. Also THE UPS program is limited to the lower 48 but USPS covers all 50 plus PR. Also USPS Prioriy Flat Rate works internationally with a 20 pound limit. Probably more info than most want to know.

    Denis
    To add, as I use both, From the northeast, I tend to use UPS for a generic ten pound package east of the mississippi USPS west. Florida is a wash, USPS is faster, but UPS is easy and they pickup later than the mail. Small stuff the small flat rate, even as it has gone up from 5 something to 8 bucks, is still a killer.


    Oh, and dont forget the regional boxes USPS, can be quite cheap

  17. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,876
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2348
    Likes (Received)
    1995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    To add, as I use both, From the northeast, I tend to use UPS for a generic ten pound package east of the mississippi USPS west. Florida is a wash, USPS is faster, but UPS is easy and they pickup later than the mail. Small stuff the small flat rate, even as it has gone up from 5 something to 8 bucks, is still a killer.


    Oh, and dont forget the regional boxes USPS, can be quite cheap
    Thanks for reminding us that the USPS is good for STANDARD size boxes.
    Yes, they are cheaper for small items that fit into their limited box sizes. The UPS simple rate lets you use YOUR non standard size package at a great price. (like a 3 foot long straight edge)

  18. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1216
    Likes (Received)
    4784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    I reckon the pension obligations are what causes the USPS to lose so much money every year.

    ToolCat
    They are also obligated to deliver mail anywhere in the USA for the cost of a stamp.
    Also pay is probably double or more than what the private sector would pay for a job of similar skills. Not sure about the big city ones, but the rural post offices in my area appear over staffed. The closest one to me seems to have a staff of 3. I usually see no more than one working at a time. The guy sorting in the back seems to be always working. One lady at a desk always surfing the internet, the other at a desk either on a personal phone call or playing with her phone. My neighbor just retired as a supervisor at a USPS location 25 miles away. He pretty much knows every small town post office employee in a 50 mile radius. He also said they pay 50% over IRS mileage rate for people who use their own vehicles to deliver mail. Of his fellow USPS works he seemed to have a low opinion of most of them. My stuff I make is small so I use USPS flat rate boxes 95% of the time.

  19. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    4,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    559
    Likes (Received)
    2981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Thanks for reminding us that the USPS is good for STANDARD size boxes.
    Yes, they are cheaper for small items that fit into their limited box sizes. The UPS simple rate lets you use YOUR non standard size package at a great price. (like a 3 foot long straight edge)
    Uhh, yeah, whatever, they both have advantages and shortcomings. UPS largest flat rate is a 12 cube equivalent. So you better pack that long skinny item carefully.

    I have been a UPS shipper for over a quarter century, and they still get the majority of my business, because much of what I ship is larger than USPS deals with affordably

    I think I posted about how UPS dropped their standard weight to 50 pounds, from 70, as did Fedex, and it sucks.

  20. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5720
    Likes (Received)
    2792

    Default

    I still gangbang the USPS padded flat rate envelopes. Those things are tough as nails, you can shove a decent sized box inside them when needed and they ship anywhere for $7.45. They used to be $4.90 when I started using them, but still a deal.

    If you aren't aware there are quite a few more flat rate package options on USPS.com than they have in the post office. Like board game boxes that fit long parts well.

  21. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1216
    Likes (Received)
    4784

    Default

    I noticed the large flat rate USPS boxes recently shot up quite a bit, looks like 3-4 dollars while they only added a couple nickels to the medium ones.

  22. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    5,552
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    191
    Likes (Received)
    1880

    Default

    But will a bowling ball fit?



    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The post office reduced the size of their flat rate boxes several years ago so a lot of stuff does not fit. A basketball does not fit in their biggest box.
    Bil lD

  23. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I insure every UPS shipment with a reasonable estimate of value. 90% of my shipments could literally be run over by a semi without damage... but they LOSE things, regularly. Like $3,000 hydraulic motors. Same with truck freight. Had one carrier lose both of two planetary gearboxes. 500 pounds each and rather memorable, but they never turned up. Finally got the check for five grand, but only because I paid for the insurance. Going to look into the UPS flat rate though, sounds good.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •