What's new
What's new

US Army Machine Shop

Sure don't want to rain on any parades, but that was an extremely lame video...a funky old B-port will keep the choppers flying..huh!

Stuart

They have full machine shops built in trailers, run off a genny, that pop up on auctions once in a while.

Sure don't want to rain on any parades, but that was an extremely lame video...a funky old B-port will keep the choppers flying..huh!

Stuart

Machinists in the army rarely machine anything. They generally pull guard duty and do nothing, in my limited experience.

They have full machine shops built in trailers, run off a genny, that pop up on auctions once in a while.

I bought one of those, 70's mfr IIRC, designed for people that were 5' tall, swear to god anytime I tried to move in that thing I bumped my head. Sold most of the tools, kept the Standard Modern lathe for myself. Getting ready to yank the welder/generator off it, then the shell is going to scrap, trailer will be repurposed.

I bought one of those, 70's mfr IIRC, designed for people that were 5' tall, swear to god anytime I tried to move in that thing I bumped my head. Sold most of the tools, kept the Standard Modern lathe for myself. Getting ready to yank the welder/generator off it, then the shell is going to scrap, trailer will be repurposed.

I would get one next time they come up.....my wife wants a camper. I’ll just tell her I thought it was a camo camper.🤷*♂️

Army machine shop truck.

I would get one next time they come up.....my wife wants a camper. I’ll just tell her I thought it was a camo camper.🤷*♂️

I had one in the late 50’s . Had a small lathe a shaper and a drill press. I made parts for the army trucks and jeeps.

When I was sent to Fort Knox for my Basic and MOS training, after Basic, I was assigned to a large motor pool for Weldor/Blacksmith training. The welding shop I was in, also had a machine shop right behind it. This consisted of three semi-trailers (like already described in previous post) that were each positioned with the backend of each trailer backed up to one side of a platform about 3 or 3 1/2ft off the ground. Each trailer different machines, altogether, well equipped. One of the machinists could barely speak English. He told me that he had been a toolmaker in one of the Slavic countries, I forget which. He said it was easier to get his citizenship by serving a hitch in the Army. He had some stainless steel fillings in his teeth.

JH

Back