What's new
What's new

US made engine lathes that cut metric threads?

ewlsey

Diamond
I need a better engine lathe in the 16x40 inch range. I'd like to have something US made, like a Monarch, American, Lodge and Shipley, etc. However, I need to be able to cut metric threads.

I understand that any lathe can cut any threads with the right change gears. But, did any US lathes cut metric threads without the need to change gears? I've done a bit of searching, and it seems like maybe some of the later South Bend lathes can cut metric.

Are there any models I should look out for? My current Taiwan special can cut US threads from 1.5 TPI up to I think 100, plus metric and DP threads, and it can cut 13 TPI, all with no unbolting of gears.

Not USA, but how about British? Colchesters will cut metric and DP.

I'm not sure enough to bet money on it, but when I was buying my Polamco new in 1980, it was unanimous opinion among the dealers that there were no USA made lathes that cut metric threads, which was one of my buying criteria. Canadian Standard Modern might also.

I guess the US makers were pretty well out of the game by the time cutting metric threads was really a concern for US buyers.

Did the US machine builders ever make metric versions for export like every company makes inch versions for us to import?

Did the US machine builders ever make metric versions for export like every company makes inch versions for us to import?

Hendey for certain, Pratt & Whitney for certain like way back. P&W filled German armories with USA made machines prior to 1900

Thumbnail is Hendey from about 1920

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 248
I don't get the reluctance to change gears.

My Mazak Ace changes in less than 5 minutes, and the Weiler LZ330 the same. A spanner is the only tool needed, and I keep those on the headstock.

Call me lazy, I can't see the reason to need a lever to do the same change over.

Once you change the gear, then what? Those machines probably have a nice chart and factory made gears.

Change the gearing, do the task, then put the "familiar" gears back. It's easy.

And yes, A good reference is a must. I tend to use the printed data in the service and operation handbooks. The placards are hard to read on both machines.
It's a lot like making an op sheet for any part production. Setting up the machine is just one of the operations.

I don't get the reluctance to change gears.

My Mazak Ace changes in less than 5 minutes, and the Weiler LZ330 the same. A spanner is the only tool needed, and I keep those on the headstock.

Call me lazy, I can't see the reason to need a lever to do the same change over.

I do.. my Colchester changes from metric to imperial by flipping a lever in less than a second. I know the changing of gears isn't a big job but it's just another thing to do...

I do.. my Colchester changes from metric to imperial by flipping a lever in less than a second. I know the changing of gears isn't a big job but it's just another thing to do...

Yep! Just another thing to do. Such is life. I try to appreciate every action. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I do.

In the process of getting prints to make my own transposing gears for my 12-30 hendey. Hendeyman has them and he said he can make the gears for you if need be.I'm opting to make them for the experience even though it would be more cost effective for me to just have them made. One set covers multiple sizes. 12,14 16, is one and I think 18,20,24 is the other.

LeBlond Regals have been offered with metric threading for decades. The later ones require sliding one gear to choose standard or metric.

The Graziano SAG's aren't US made but seem plentiful and very well made. Would fit the bill pretty well. Also seem less beat on used as I am guessing they were pricey new and didn't go to the 200lb gorillas to use.

A Colchester is not much (if at all) of an upgrade from a half decent Taiwan made lathe.

I have a pretty low opinion of Colchester lathes - Colchester and Harrison were the two "commodity" British workhorse lathes, of similar (average) quality, but of the two the Harrison is by far the nicer machine to use.

There are a number of European lathes that match the old American built ones you are looking for, that have the same kind of universal gearing as your modern Taiwanese lathe.

My Sheldon MW-56-p is capable of metric and imperial threading "when properly equipped". All the M series lathes could be purchased with a single gear to be changed out for metric threading. It's a quick change gear that takes all of about 30 seconds to change. I have no idea how popular the option was or how many change gears were sold after the fact. I doubt it was very popular option in this country until the 1980's. That's about the time the auto industry started slowly moving to the metric system

A Colchester is not much (if at all) of an upgrade from a half decent Taiwan made lathe.

I have a pretty low opinion of Colchester lathes - Colchester and Harrison were the two "commodity" British workhorse lathes, of similar (average) quality, but of the two the Harrison is by far the nicer machine to use.

There are a number of European lathes that match the old American built ones you are looking for, that have the same kind of universal gearing as your modern Taiwanese lathe.

I would be interested in why a Harrison is nicer than a Colchester? I too am not a Colchester fan ,they're OK when near to new but I can only afford old ,by which time they are overpriced and worn out IMO.

Back