What's new
What's new

USA Available decent Bench Mill in the 600-700lbs range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decent @ 600-700 lbs and $600-$700? Not a hope and it's an oxymoron to use those Optimum, Smithy brands and decent in the same thread. Hell I paid more than that for a decent set of ER collets and chuck for mine. There's some now obviously no longer made smaller bench top sized around, Hardinge would be one of a few. But your going to have to up your budget by at least 5x just to get in the ball park. There's a sticky at the top, better read those as this thread will very likely get closed. Cheap Asian machines are not allowed discussion here for good reasons.

Decent @ 600-700 lbs and $600-$700? Not a hope and it's an oxymoron to use those Optimum, Smithy brands and decent in the same thread. Hell I paid more than that for a decent set of ER collets and chuck for mine. There's some now obviously no longer made smaller bench top sized around, Hardinge would be one of a few. But your going to have to up your budget by at least 5x just to get in the ball park.
Small, geared head? Those were never common and definitely never inexpensive. Most of the classic USA benchtop mills are belt drive.

jack vines

I saw this on Faceplant marketplace recently but it must have sold because I can't find it now. He was asking $1500 if I recall correctly.
cab98d00e3174d5b5ce7a7b01ef577b0.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Johannson was purchased and later built in larger volume by Clausing. And yes, at present good examples go for $1500. I just sold one for that and the buyer's friend wants one at that price.

As with lathes, small examples a hobby guy can put in his basement will sell for 3X what a much larger professional machine will bring.

jack vines

The Johansson mill is still there. It's in Margaretville, NY. The title is misspelled Johanssen. He is asking $1500, with the obligatory OBO.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

No those small horizontal / vertical Hardinge mills weren't gear heads, Emco made a 6 spd gear head round column to name just one. But again $600-$700 isn't going to touch one of those unless it's just about in scrap condition. The OP could do the leg work and go through Machine Tool Archive if he was at all serious, but I'm not doing the work for him. With his estimate of decent and what his budget is it's highly doubtful he would bother anyway. And since he's deleted his first post it's even much less likely.

No those small horizontal / vertical Hardinge mills weren't gear heads, Emco made a 6 spd gear head round column to name just one. But again $600-$700 isn't going to touch one of those unless it's just about in scrap condition. The OP could do the leg work and go through Machine Tool Archive if he was at all serious, but I'm not doing the work for him. With his estimate of decent and what his budget is it's highly doubtful he would bother anyway. And since he's deleted his first post it's even much less likely.

I deleted because someone kindly informed me it was against forum rules. Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit regarding the entire point of the post. I guess all the stuff they say about this forum is legit...

I deleted because someone kindly informed me it was against forum rules. Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit regarding the entire point of the post. I guess all the stuff they say about this forum is legit...

Nor yours either apparently......

Read the title again...600-700 POUNDS, not dollars. Lbs is a measure of WEIGHT...Good lord... I never put the amount of money I was interested in spending in the post.
This forum has quite the reputation for people being needlessly confrontational without much brains and it really seems like that's the case.

Many of the modern import mills are a heavy drill press with a traveling table so ok for woodwork, ok but poor for aluminum, not much at all on steel. Some are a few thousand and more..

The unmentionable is a little better, but still a light-duty machine.
some old-timer bench mills are ok to good but are getting hard to find.
The likes of a Bridgeport can often be had for about $1,000 and up.

Enco used to sell a 8'x32" turret mill that was made by Nantong a Korean firm. I think it was the same as the standard 9"x42" except for the table travels.

By the time you mount a bench top mill on a suitable table ,it's footprint is as big as an 8x32 and hardly any smaller than a 9x42. So I don't understand why the need for a benchtop?

I had one of those 9x42 mills and they are a very good mill,as good as any small Bridgeport.

Not as good are the Clausings but the same goes as far as the actual footprint.

If all you have is a bench along a wall then I would shorten the bench and find one of the smaller mills to fit.

There are some of the newer mill/drills that have a square column but the costs are $3-4k and don't know if they are any better than the old standard round column pos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back