Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Used Lathe advice

Hi

This is my 1st post on here, been a member for a bit and found it a great source of info.
    Iím no Machinist but served my time as a Agri Engineer/Blacksmith so have always done a bit of machining. Iíve been in the oil industry working for nearly 15 years now and my work offshore as a Mechy I can spends days on the lathe\mill or go 2 weeks without using it, mostly turning shaft/bushes some threading and general repair work.
    I have a workshop at home and do a bit of Engineering to keep my hand in, I have a an old Colchester triumph 2000 at the moment that I cleaned up and works away good. But Iím considering a bigger Lathe as Iíve had to turn away a couple of jobs due to not having enough swing or hollow spindle size.

Iíve even looking at Colchester Masstiff & Mascotís as Iíve used them in the past but the Colchesterís seem to hold a higher value even for old abused looking ones, Iíve seen you can get a TOS lathe for a lot less money. Has anyone got any experience of them or could give me info on other brands of lathes around this size.

Cheers
    Kev

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i would take a tos over a colchester any time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good morning.

Colchester's hold their value, due I suspect to their ease of use & their versatility. Plus, most spares are available.
    A lot of individuals do ramp up the prices even on battered old machines, I've seen plenty of over priced old tat for sale.

A friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us, ran a precision engineering business. he had a couple of TOS lathes for rough work, & he swore by them, as opposed to at them.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog507 View Post
    Good morning.

Colchester's hold their value, due I suspect to their ease of use & their versatility. Plus, most spares are available.
    A lot of individuals do ramp up the prices even on battered old machines, I've seen plenty of over priced old tat for sale.

A friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us, ran a precision engineering business. he had a couple of TOS lathes for rough work, & he swore by them, as opposed to at them.

Cheers.
    the spare parts situation for Tos should be okay as they are still in business and they are one of the few in europe that still produce and sell new manual lathes.
    Tos has a representation in the netherlands that will be happy to serve the british market brexit or no brexit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just moved from a Colchester 15" to a Whacheon 18" HL460. Similar in price to the TOS shown above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TOS are ok, no complaints from me. For the money they used to be a good buy.
    If it's a used machine condition is everything though.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the reply’s, I will keep a eye out, there is a machine dealer with used TOS in Motherwell at a ok price so I will maybe have to take a trip south to look as I’m based up North in Scotland so limited and not many machines ever come up for sale local.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anybody got any dealer Recommendations in the UK/Scotland or ones to avoid.
    im not in a hurry as my Triumph 2000 is ok for the jobs i have in at the moment, i was looking at a Tos lathe and a Colchester Mastiff online at Tayside machinery but also read a post on here that they might no be the best dealer, iv seen loads of painted up Colchesters for big money with Terrible paint jobs and beds look like theve been cleaned up with a grinder and wire brush!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog507 View Post
    Good morning.

Cheers.
    Agreed, and most of the buyers of Colchesters in the UK remember them from college or school, so the name's familiar! A bit like Myford among the model "engineers".
    The price of Colchester spares is extortionate though, even if they're available a lot more easily than for a TOS... if you want a spares nightmare, try a Holbrook (it's worth it, though)

Dave H. (the other one)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How will you move it to your location? Factor in that cost to your plans. A 16" lathe is not going in the back of a pickup truck or van.
    Bill D

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 3.5T 16ft trailer if itís no far away but I have priced a haulage company to take a lathe up from England, but Iím probably talking £500 to £800 to get it to my place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've moved two and a half ton lathe and 2 ton mill on my own, Northampton to Hampshire etc. the secret is a plant trailer with a winch and a drop tail plus rollers and something between them and the lathe cabinet / machine if it's not flat-bottomed. My local trailer place rents them out for £40/day, add a Hilux (£55/day) and you're in business.

Dave H. (the other one)