What's new
What's new

Used machines from HGR

NutRunner

Plastic
I have bought a few items from HGR Industrial Surplus in Cleveland, OH

https://hgrinc.com/

Mostly small items for under $100 but they are always good. Does anyone have experience buying larger items like lathes or shears from HGR?

Could just be newbie. Plenty of those. As for hgr pig in poke. But the prices are higher and come down slower then the past. Not the "deal" they used to be.

Doubtful. He lists his interests as “film, travel, and video games” and occupation as “marketing “. Smells like spam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll bite. The machines are mostly scrap metal. You shouldn’t buy a machine from them unless you have years of experience in machine repair and electrical work. If it’s a cnc machine you should have experience in the trouble shooting and repair of cnc down to the board level. And if you do find a machine worth buying you can bet your last dollar that one of the apes driving the fork lift will smash some non obtainable park long before it’s on your truck or trailer.

Oh and one last thing if you go and buy something, pay with a check, that way when they smash something you can just ask for your check back and not have to wait for the charges to be reversed on your credit card.

The machines are mostly scrap metal.

x2 Just because the OP is probably spamming is no reason for us to not be honest and talk about how junk there stuff is. I feel like there are buys I would make (and have), but they are few and far between. I would never buy anything precision, or with much electronics in it from them though. I was ready to be okay with what I have bought to be useless also, and paid little more than scrap for it to begin with.

Someone is cooking up a spam sandwichs for lunch :eek:

I thought they served hotdogs?

HGR - Have Garbage for Repair

And if it didn't need repair when you bought it on the floor, it will after they drop it or damage it with chains while moving it your rig. Prices have increased in recent years to where it is no longer worth looking. Inventory has also weakened. New owners, I think.

Your odds are far better buying a machine at auction, even without inspection.

And if it didn't need repair when you bought it on the floor, it will after they drop it or damage it with chains while moving it your rig. Prices have increased in recent years to where it is no longer worth looking. Inventory has also weakened. New owners, I think.

Your odds are far better buying a machine at auction, even without inspection.

Spamdogs? ;)

Prices have increased in recent years to where it is no longer worth looking. Inventory has also weakened. New owners, I think.

I don’t know about new owners, but I do know that I definitely agree with this. I had one sales guy for 6 years, then he moved up and set me up with another guy who I had for 5 years. They are both gone from the company now, and in 2 years I have had 2 folks who are absolutely useless. I hardly buy anything there anymore.

I have purchased several eyeletting and riveting machines from them. All were able to be brought up to usable condition. The orbital riveter I purchased came in this crate which says it all! These machines are controlled by air. The controller worked perfectly but the seals in the riveter head would not hold pressure nor vacuum. I remounted the head onto an old Gorton 3U pantograph base and have made tens of thousands with this piece of junk using the old Gorton hand wheel for raising and lowering the table to form the loose rivets required. It is perfect for the specialized task. You just take your chance with HGR. I have been lucky.
Crate3980.jpgRiveter1sm.jpgFrankenRiverter3940.jpgFrankenRiveter3963.jpg

I have two lathes and two grinders I've bought from them. All had to be resurrected from the dead! Did get them at bargain prices but I knew what I was buying before hand and knew there would be lots of repair to get them back to running. Actually, came out better than I thought I would. Of course, the money spent, not including labor, I'll never come out ahead if I ever sell the machines later. I didn't buy them to profit off of later, bought them to make money with. So far that hasn't happen. Business has taken a turn in another direction. Anybody want to buy a small machine shop?:skep: Ken

I bought an autobagger from them. Paid $1152 for it in as-is condition when similar machines in working condition were $5k to $10k and new machines were $20k. It was not in working condition, but after a day or two of fixing it, it was running. That was 2015. We use the machine for a few hours a week ever since. A non-scrap machine was out of the budget at the time and HGR had something I could afford to get into and reduce my labor cost. Win win.

It is an experience to visit the place.

I'd love to visit them.
The only used machinery dealer near me, Bixby Machine in Spokane emptied out their two warehouse where the used machines were kept and now rent them out to marijuana growers.
They said they make way more money renting the spaces out for that than selling old machines.

All their machines on eBay are now listed as "for parts or not working".

It has to do with ebays rules, anything that is listed as "Used" must be 100% operational, if its not the buyer can cry foul and demand $$$ for repair, or return the machine, and ebay sides with buyer about 90+% of the time. If listed as "Parts or repair" it is as-is where-is you bought it, it might work, might need minor repair, might be a boat anchor.

Back