What's new
What's new

USI Clearing Press - Flywheel removal - Herringbone Gear

tap455

Plastic
Newbie to these forums post!

Has anyone rebuilt the crankshaft bearings in a USI Clearing press? The one we have is a geared shaft drive and has herringbone gears. Trying to figure out the best way to dis-assemble the spur gear from the flywheel since the spur will not simply slip off the shaft as it is locked in by the herringbone.

Thanks

Newbie to these forums post!

Has anyone rebuilt the crankshaft bearings in a USI Clearing press? The one we have is a geared shaft drive and has herringbone gears. Trying to figure out the best way to dis-assemble the spur gear from the flywheel since the spur will not simply slip off the shaft as it is locked in by the herringbone.

Thanks

I have but it has been a while. We used to do full rebuilds on these and Versons and a bunch of others at one of the places I worked. You will probably have to pull some bearing caps and do some disassembly. Post some photos.

I have a high speed variable stroke Clearing press. I have the manual for it too, but the book doesn't talk about the inner workings. Recommends only letting the factory touch the transmission. lol.

We had a Bliss press with herringbone gears. The best way, was to split the machine. Our crankcase was split on the bearing mount. Not optimum if you don't have the crane or really big forklift. Ours was rated at 25K lbs.
Probably need to set up to pull both gears simultaneously. I don't remember how we got them back on. Circa 1980. One rebuild solution is to put a B-lock or ringfedder in one of the gears so the gear can be pulled alone.

Dave

We ended up with straight gears.

Back