What's new
What's new

Using cat 50 toolholder in NMTB taper

Rigor

Banned
I have an old K&T mill with NMTB 50 taper. I also have a dead Okuma mill that used Cat 50 tooling. So plenty of Cat 50 toolholders on hand.
Being that the drawbar of the K&T threads in perfectly into the Cat 50 tool holders and the drive dogs are also the same, I'm tempted to try and use them in the K&T.

You guys foresee any problems? After all the taper should be the same...right?

Yes you will be fine. The taper is the same. Just make sure you get at least 4 full threads of the drawbar thread before it clamps the tool holder. Don't want to strip the thread.

Are the threads in the toolholders the same? Is the drawbar in the K&T long enough to engage a standard Cat 50 toolholder?

Are the threads in the toolholders the same? Is the drawbar in the K&T long enough to engage a standard Cat 50 toolholder?

Looks like I get around ten turns of the drawbar before it bottoms out in the holder so lots of engagement. I was mostly concerned about the taper but I just tried it and works like a charm.

Thanks to all...

Double check that the toolholder is seating properly in the taper. A Cat v-flange has one drive notch (the one with the dimple) cut shallower than the other. My K&T requires the removal (or shortening) of one of the drive lugs, and then the toolholder to be indexed to match the lugs.

I have a spacer I use on the back of the spindle to shorten the drawbar for NMTB holders, and I remove the spacer for Cat holders.

When I saw this thread I was going to post that it worked for me on 30 taper, listing all the points others have made, and expecting the backlash

Then I saw Frank Maris post (#2) and shall we say ;- was mightily relieved, ……..if it's good enough Frank, it's good enough for me! :)

Looks like I get around ten turns of the drawbar before it bottoms out in the holder so lots of engagement. I was mostly concerned about the taper but I just tried it and works like a charm.

Thanks to all...

Make sure it's not bottoming out, or nearly so, on the NMTB holders. The thread depth is different on a lot of my holders.

I had a Van Norman that had a drawbar with a nut on the outer end, so you could screw the bar into the holder by hand then tighten up the nut to prevent that.

Make sure it's not bottoming out, or nearly so, on the NMTB holders. The thread depth is different on a lot of my holders.

I had a Van Norman that had a drawbar with a nut on the outer end, so you could screw the bar into the holder by hand then tighten up the nut to prevent that.

I have the same draw bar on the K&T. I blued up everything and all is well. Tapers are a perfect match. Drive dogs are also a perfect fit.

And yes, thank you Frank for chiming in earlier and confirming that this was doable.

Back